will my bike make it from dc to chicago

GoldenMotor.com

s butta

Apr 14, 2011
landover md
dc to chicago soon

its 725 miles and i am very serously thinking about doing it with a 4 cycle and a shift kit on a 21 speed tandem bike pulling a trailer with tools extra parts 1 gal of extra gas ect im going there just to go i guess i estamate it would take about 23$ to get there i may even ride back usflg

would fritcion drive be better

has any one ever riden this far with one?

am i the only one thinking about doing somthing like this?

is anybody willing to go with me?? (lol)

725miles is a long way

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I suppose it's possible, but I would do some serious rides of shorter distance first to work out whatever problems you may encounter. I would think that both of those cities would be difficult to enter or leave on a motor bicycle. Super highways and such. If I were doing a long distance ride I would want it to be someplace with little traffic, places to camp, etc. I like to ride, but count me out.
SB

fishyfish777

Sep 2, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
That's like what, nearly a full day by bus? Assuming you don't break down, approximately 48 hours of pure flat-out biking is gonna be hard to say the least

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
Sounds like a great adventure. You don't say how experienced you are or the type and reliability of the MB that you have. I strongly recommend that you ty some shorter day trips first so that you can see what you are in for.

PS: I live just outside DC. I'd be up for a trial 100 to 150 mile trial run.

s butta

Apr 14, 2011
landover md
virginian i may take you up on that 100 to 150 mile trail run

i mapquested it and google maped it and its very possable to do with out any hwy driving
but i do think its going to take more than two days but im not in a rush

ive had a lot of the 2 cycle and the 4 cycle with shifter kits an without and i know the 2 cycle will never make it but the 4 cycle should but will the friction drive pull all that with out slipping ive never owned a friction drive be4 i thought i would use a shifter kit to keep my rpm down on long flat roads

how fast does one of those friction drives go

where can i get one from dax is out of them

do they slip in the water

whats the diffence in the small roller an the big roller

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
700+ miles isn't unreasonable in the least. Many of us have accrued much more on our bikes. The trick is to make sure the bike is reliable for a non-stop trek of that distance.
Heed the advice given above. Do some trial rides of a much shorter distance with the bike loaded as you're predicting it will be. You'll be able to weed out some of the bugs, if any, and you'll stand a better chance of not being stranded miles from home, possible in the middle of nowhere.
Good luck. It's an ambitious endeavor but if you succeed you'll be proud.
I wouldn't say which, chain or friction drive would be better, they're both good if done right.
Keep us informed of your preparations.
Tom

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I did some long distance touring when I was a wee bit younger on my LeMond touring pedal bike; BRAN, Tour'deNebraska and a few others from Lincoln to the Sand Hills in western NE, Valentine. Back on the CowboyTrail across the Northern part of the state down through Sioux City to Lincoln took me approximately a month to make the whole ride that was over 1100 miles. From Lincoln to St. Louis and back about 3 weeks 650miles about each way. I pulled a Bob's trailer with about 35-40lbs of gear there are a lot of elements that come into play on these kind of trips. Such as heat, head winds, rain, and whatever else MotherNature can deal out. I averaged about 60 miles on a good day. Camped out most of the time lived on MRIs took showers in a car wash, and just enjoyed the scenery. You gotta make sure your bike is in top notch shape and if you don't have a good seat on it your day of riding doesn't last very long.
On my motor bike Chicago built steel frame hybrid, Stanton rack mounted inside drive Robin Subaru powered, heavy duty tires and wheels, saddletanks,3 gallons. Do not like those cheesy kit bar tanks. This is a different riding you cannot or not supposed to ride the trails you'll have to ride secondary roads ride in traffic and some undesirable motorists will try to make your day. You don't have to bring the kitchen sink along but you'll have to have spare parts and tools to work with. You may be able to average a few more miles per day but MotherNature is always the same.
Make sure you take your credit card and cell phone.
Have a good trip.
buzzard

25% of all motor bikes are on the road, the other 75% are at home in the shop getting fixed.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
bearing greese. i think a zerk fitting in each hub and every 75 mi a couple squirts, i could be wrong. saftey vest and a strobe light on top of your helmet to be seen on and unexpected off road problems. most people laying in the ditch or on the side in the grass arn't found breathing if you know what i mean, on a side road that isn't used much. and of course a gps phone so you could be found. oh and one last thing... a IRON ASS! take pic's and record your story sell it! good luck ride like the wind! dennis

s butta

Apr 14, 2011
landover md
dc to chicago with a 4 cycle (is it possable)

im thinking about riding my bike from dc to chicago its 725 miles and im thinking about doing it with a 4 cycle and a shift kit on a 21 speed tandem
pulling a trailer with extra tools extra parts extra gas a tent ect.

im going there just to go i guess? maby get some uno pizza lol

i google maped it and i estamate it will cost about 23$ from here to there and take a few days (not in a rush) i may even ride back

has any one ever went that far with this set up

is it possable

would fritcion drive be better

am i the only one thinking about doing somthing like this

is there anyone willing to go with me.crt.

725miles is a long way

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Why are you repeating the information your original post?
Tom
I dont think he recived any GOOD answers to his questions sooooo he's trying again? lol I think it sounds like fun. If you bring a few spare parts a few plugs some tools and a cell phone just incase I bet youll have a very good time. Anyone want to offer some GOOD advice on what the op needs to bring or how to make this a safe trip?

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I live just north of DC and have made the trip to Columbus, Ohio many times over 25 years which is probably a little over half way to Chicago. I can't think of anyway around the mountains for the first third of the trip and I would not think any MB would pull them. It nice and flat from Columbus on, but I think I'd have a chase vehicle. Good luck, Dan

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Actually the trips sounds about like one I took shortly out of highs school when I drove my VW out to the midwest to live with my bro for a bit. It was a 1974 VW unsure of the milage on it because the odemeter was sketchy, but I was the second owner, the first was an old hippie that had taken it across the US at least twice. By the time I was taking it from NH to MO it was a few years past its twentieth birthday. It was all original, except for the carb that I swapped out because I could never get the dual carb thing to sync up right. I got about 50 miles to the gallon of oil, (the engine had never been rebuilt, it did not run when I bought, but a new coil was all it needed and that and the carb was all I had into it for parts). I had to retime it twice, I did keep a timing gun in me tool kit, swapped plugs a couple of times, and discovered that yes the cops do pull you over if you are not doing the minimum speed on the interstate. A trip my brother usually did in about 20 hours of driving took my the better part of 5 days, but it was loads of fun, the stuff books are written about.

I mean DC to Chicago is pretty uneventful and could be down right dull, but do it on a motor bike and you will have something to tell your kids about. My uncle still reminisces about his cross country trek on his Vespa, and every time I hear the story I wish I could have been there.

s butta

Apr 14, 2011
landover md
thanks for all the input

i think im going to go thru with this im still experimenting but it could be fun
i told my friend what i was doing and asked if he wanted to ride his mb out there with me and i think hes still laughing in his sleep laff
SO im still looking for someone to ride with me
but
i took my bike out today from dc to a junk yard in baltomore about 45miles 90 miles round trip it did fine going but comming back i was pulling a bike trailer carring a transmission for my truck & tools ect and even tho i never made it out of 2 gear it pulled ok the shift kit held up ok but i think i may need a new clutch
SOON!
(good thing im fixing my truck)

i think that was atleast 350lbs not including me and the weaght of the bike and i still avereged 20-25 mph on flat ground normaly i could get up to 35 in 4th if i had to i but that is just me an the bike think i may atleast try fritcion drive it seems like it may give me more tork (if it does not slip)

Last edited:

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I'd personally avoid the shift kit. I'm confdent that a good quality happy time engine could make the ride but 99.9% of my reliablity issues are with some component associated with a shift kit, e.g. chain breaking, repeated chain stretch and adjustments on drive chain to flywheel, OEM flywheel fails easily...get heavy duty one, torque affects on shift kit geometry causing issues with chain alignment, etc...etc... I love my shifter kit bikes but they are not as realiable as single speed bikes.

I think you best bet as a newbie is to consider a rack mounted system.
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/pro...Engine_and_350_Pedal_shifting_kit-528-20.html

Last edited:

tallcrown

Jun 14, 2011
NJ
When do you want to go?
thanks for all the input

i think im going to go thru with this im still experimenting but it could be fun
i told my friend what i was doing and asked if he wanted to ride his mb out there with me and i think hes still laughing in his sleep laff
SO im still looking for someone to ride with me
but
i took my bike out today from dc to a junk yard in baltomore about 45miles 90 miles round trip it did fine going but comming back i was pulling a bike trailer carring a transmission for my truck & tools ect and even tho i never made it out of 2 gear it pulled ok the shift kit held up ok but i think i may need a new clutch
SOON!
(good thing im fixing my truck)

i think that was atleast 350lbs not including me and the weaght of the bike and i still avereged 20-25 mph on flat ground normaly i could get up to 35 in 4th if i had to i but that is just me an the bike think i may atleast try fritcion drive it seems like it may give me more tork (if it does not slip)

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
If you have the route all planned out post it. Maybe there are some guys along the way that could ride a ways with you. Another plus is if you have phone numbers of any members along the route. It could prove helpful. Try to keep your total weight as low as you can. It will make for less stress on the bike and motor. Keep your tools to a minimum because of weight, but be sure you have what you might need.

Can you take a different route, even if it would add many miles, to get around the most difficult hills? It could be worth it.

An idea I had on tools but haven't done is this. Lets say you need a 15mm and a 14mm wrench. You have both so that would be 2 wrenches. Cut both in half and weld a 15 and 14 together so you only need 1 wrench. That is just an example.

Extra gas. Get a small gas approved container. Remember, you still will get great mileage so you shouldn't need much to get to the next gas station. Water is heavy! But you will not want to run out. You might want to plan your trip before or after the peak temperature months.

Last but not least. If a man in his 60's can go from lower California to Alaska on his MB you CAN do this ride!

Terry

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I can't think of much to add that hasn't already been mentioned by others. The orange vest and lights are a great idea, I agree there. I would say: use the practice runs to get an idea of what spare parts to bring along. Without a doubt you'll need a spare tube or a patch kit, or both. Spare spark plug (doesn't weigh much). Spare lighting supplies (bulbs, batteries if the system uses them).

My personal tool kit: spare batteries, spare bulbs, air pump, patch kit, dogbone wrench, light adjustable wrench, the two allen wrenches my bike uses, flathead screwdriver, phillips screwdriver, sparkplug wrench, miniature battery tester, clip-on LED emergency lights, test leads with spring clips (for emergency by-passing of broken electrical connections.) I think that's everything I carry. And each was selected to be fuctional but small and light-weight too. Everything above, and more, fits into this little box/trunk I have on my rear rack. With room left over to pack a lunch.

One last thing - YES! definitely, if you can manage it, take lots of pictures and document your voyage! There's a lot of us who'll want to see and read all about this. It'll help some of us make trips like this ourselves.

Last edited: