Rear Sprocket Attached To Spokes Question

GoldenMotor.com

Smallwheels

Dec 18, 2008
Montana
Right now I'm using a friction drive kit. I need to switch to a chain drive kit for winter so I can use my studded tire on the rear of the bicycle. I had a Golden Eagle kit that kept ruining wheels because the spokes kept breaking. That was too expensive to continue so I switched to friction drive.

Friction drive destroys the inside of my tires. The treads last but the interior comes apart and the tire threads eat into the inner tubes causing flats. Nobody ever wrote about that problem before. At least I hadn't heard of it or read about it.

With so many of you guys owning kits with those clamp on rear sprockets I'd like to know if they ever cause spokes to break on wheels. How many miles can you go before spokes start to break? One kit seller said that clamping sprockets to the wheels actually makes the wheel stronger and that he's never had spokes break on a wheel with his sprockets. Has anyone else experienced that or can you vouch for that being true?

I use my kit to take me to and from work. I don't own a car and really don't want one. I need some good answers from people with experience. My frame is a hard tail and I'm hoping to get a new 50 cc four stroke motor that will propel me at the legal limit of 30 mph. A rack mount is what I need for my current frame design though I'd consider getting a conventional mountain bike frame for an in frame installation.

Thanks for the help.

Smallwheels

Michael J. (Michael J. Beninate) | MySpace
Do Not Die Yet

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I've got an in frame Chinese 2-stroke and the sprocket is mounted on the spokes. In the current configuration none of the spokes have broken, dunno how many miles it's been but it's a lot.

The hub adapter should work on your hub as long as it is the correct size.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I haven't had any problem with the rag mount myself- my Micargi multi speed hub is sized exactly to accomodate the spreocket diameter - though not secure it. the derailleur allows elimination of the tensioner on the sprocket side and allows more range for pedalling- I kill the moter two blocks away from where I'm going and coast or lightly pedal the big gear- and still have the light ones to get going.

I recently bolted a sprocket that had thing 6 inner disk brake holes directly to a high flanged flip/flop on a 700 C wheel- haven't finished the build yet- but it totally eliminates all the weight of the rag bolts- The flange was solid and thealloy there drilled easily- wish I had a picture here-

It's also for a 50 with a 41 gear- the Huffy cruiser has a light frame and is fitted with the alloy 700 C wheels- I think it will both roll with the motor and pedal well.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have never had a problem with the rag joint causing any damage as well. I have thousands of care free miles with the rag joint.

I have had a few problems in the past with broken spokes but that was all do to other things and not the rag joint.

The one thing I do keep an eye on is whether or not the rag joints are wearing out. After time the spokes start to dig into the rubber in which case then I replace the rag joint. I think the longest rag joint I had lasted about three-four years.