Slipping Centrifugal Clutch

GoldenMotor.com

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
My PK80 with centrifugal clutch has been progressively slipping over the last several miles. As I ride and then accelerate the engine rpm will race and so forth. Is there an adjustment to correct this? Also, can the centrifugal clutch option be neutralized so that the engine will then operate on the manual clutch that it also has?

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
WAIT !,,,,,The flower nut may need adjusting,the motors I've seen on here still have the clutch arm and it is used,meaning the regular clutch pucks may be slippingIf its been slipping more and more over a 40 -80 mile time frame then I would try the flower nut adjust first(sorry ,I know the centrivical clutch has to come off to adj.the flower nut)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Very true, corgi1!
My mind just went back to the most recent thread concerning this exact problem.
For saetta's sake. I hope that it is as easy as a simple flower nut adjustment.
Now I wonder how tight his clutch cable is when in the engaged position.

As for doing a conversion back to a manual clutch, yes, the parts should interchange.
You will have to be careful that the gear teeth mesh correctly though. I doubt that they will fit together too tightly, but they may fit too loose. They need to overlap each other by at least 75% for good power transfer. If the peaks of one gear go all the way down into the valleys of the other gear too tightly it will cause a horrible whining, moreso than they normally whine, which is alot, and cause excessive wear.
Try corgi1's suggestion first.