Harbor Freight Chain breaker

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Picking up a HF 2.5 engine yesterday I thought I should finally break down and buy a chain breaker. Picked this one up as I had just read how they work fine. (I am starting to laugh when ever I read; "I read") - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices Very stought piece of hardware but is rated for #420 chain and push pin would hang up inside link of chain. I tried sanding it down as it was very close but was not right and still a pain. This morning I removed the pin and replaced it with a nail with the point cut off. I used a nut as an inside washer and works great.

So for the price of $14.99 and a nail, have a pretty robust and working chain breaker. Pics are carp cam, (cell phone) sorry

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I was thinking just wearing it in would help. Broke a bunch of left over links I had and did get better but still hung. Sanded the small pin for a good while. Really is an awesome tool.

I have been using the "Hammer, punch, nail and a board with a hole" method for years. Even with mine hanging up, still light years easier and highly recommend this breaker.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i posted the same a while ago: http://motorbicycling.com/f34/chain-breaker-harbor-freight-12689.html

the one i got came with two different pins, one that fit bike chains, and one that fit motor chains. all the one's i've seen since have 2 bigger pins.

i got one for my buddy, and just used a grinder to make the pin skinnier.

on mine, the smaller pin busted in half. the links don't line up perfect, so if you're off a little, you can damage the chain, or in my case, the pin.

luckily, it was still long enough to use after i smoothed out the broken tip.

i still like it. it's the best chain breaker i've found so far.

also, after adding links to a chain, make sure they move freely. usually they're a little tight. you can flex the chain back and forth, or stick a screwdriver inbetween the link and tweak it a bit. just make sure it doesn't bind, or you'll have problems.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That thread cracked me up Baird. (and no body jumped me for the "nananana" stuff, lol) I had missed your update and completely forgot about that thread. should have not started a new one. I was going to grind it down a bit, but the nail was just sitting there.

Really is a great one. Price is awesome too. Local MC shop wanted 30 bucks for this fancy cheap looking one

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
Picking up a HF 2.5 engine yesterday I thought I should finally break down and buy a chain breaker. Picked this one up as I had just read how they work fine. (I am starting to laugh when ever I read; "I read") - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices Very stought piece of hardware but is rated for #420 chain and push pin would hang up inside link of chain. I tried sanding it down as it was very close but was not right and still a pain. This morning I removed the pin and replaced it with a nail with the point cut off. I used a nut as an inside washer and works great.

So for the price of $14.99 and a nail, have a pretty robust and working chain breaker. Pics are carp cam, (cell phone) sorry
Does anyone know how this breaker does with a #41 chain? I'm looking to get the #41 chain but I need a tool for it because I don't use master links. Would this work?

How about this? Do they push the pin back in putting the chain back together?

http://lowbrowcustoms.com/ProductImages/parts/tools/chain-breaker/chain-breaker-photo-1.jpg

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
That's like the one I have and yea - it's fine fer that. It's a lil squirrely to get used to if yer used to the other, fixed type but I like it as it fits a wider selection of chains.

BTW, if it's big 'nuff you can use it as a poor man's puller for removing the stubborn clutch arm from it's splined shaft w/o damage FTW

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Chain Breaker - 1159307 | Tractor Supply Company

Is that it? I've never used this style breaker before, just the regular bike ones. Are you able to push the pin out but still keep it partially in the other side of the chain? I don't want to use master links.
yea. I thought about getting it, but I don't mind master links, so I just punch them out with a center punch..

they also have a more 'regular' breaker that has adaptors for diffrent chains, or at least they did