Modifying a Magic Pie 3

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Has anyone modified their MP3 hub? I've maxed out the rpm and acceleration on the programming but I was wondering if anyone ever did internal work to one like better FETs or controller?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
from what i have read the ones that did the internal mods destroyed the motors so it would make me nervous. however if you find something that works let us know, you can never have enough power on a motorized bicycle lol
dnut

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I've did a little research and found that the MP's with internal controllers are not good candidates for "hot ridding". The article I read said that heat becomes an issue because there isn't enough cooling and it shouldn't be done. However the article did say that the MP's with the external controller is a good candidate and could handle up to 2kw.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
also the magic pie controller is limited to 60v, a 48v lifepo4 battery you actually charge to 58.4 volts so you are about maxed out on volts unless you use an external controller, keep us up to date if you try anything new.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Currently I'm happy with both my ebikes and 25-28 mph is good for me because it keeps me out of trouble. If I was going to do anything, I would get a MP2 with an external controller but I need to finish my Boxer for he races next month.
Problem is I rather go on an eBike ride then work on the gasser! LOL

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i am the same way easy rider. i had someone come a little to close and i wasn't comfortable and at those speeds i was able to jump off the road and keep going, if i was going much faster and i would have crashed. as the lady drove by she had cell phone in one hand and hair brush in the other. last thing i want is to crash on my electric bicycle.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
You can always take out the internal controller and wire an external controller onto the mp3 if you really want more power.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
will a controller make much difference alone or do you mean the controller and a bigger battery

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
A controller upgrade will give you the ability run more amps with the same battery example. Or you can run higher voltage for more power. And since you take out the controller, you can upgrade the phase fires.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Got lost in that link for a few. Thanks. His cooling approaches lending me to new Ideas. never gave this stuff much thought till now. Just means I wanna build one. I will always wounder how to water cool some of these too. Seams they are doing that to mid drive motors?