Fuel Filters: Are They Needed ?

GoldenMotor.com

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana

Anybody ever replace their kit fuel hoses with one of these ?? Supposedly you can get them at any auto parts store. Looks like one of them carb lines, but more importantly....they're CLAMPED.

Stealthpony

Jun 27, 2016
Kingston ontario canada
Yep its normal fuel line sold by the foot almost anywhere. I have used it and still am only put a clear piece on to see the fuel flow. When clamped properly with no leaks can outlast the bike for sure.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Some of the clear tubing that is not soft has leaked on me with the hose clamps that use the worm gear to tighten. If the barb is too even a bit too small or the inner diameter of any tubing just a bit too large diameter then the clamp makes a wrinkle in one or more spots as the clamp is tightened. The spring type clamps are even all around but worm gear type are not so good an can have problems with stiff tubing.

I have used the black color neoprene for gas automotive tubing and the worm gear clamps and the clamp pressure is even enough as the tubing is soft enough it does not wrinkle under compression.

I have the clear paper cone shape filter built into the plastic part so that I can at least see the fuel is in there. I've kept away from clear tubing unless I know it is OK for gas and is malleable to some degree it can work. I just have not seen it in stores and is maybe some place online I could order.

Bikesrule321

May 21, 2022
Are fuel filters necessary? My fuel filter broke and I don't want to buy another. Do I really need one? I just want a simple reason and explanation.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Should you get them, yes and better to have a clear filter to see through so you know when to change it. There might be a metal mesh screen built into some tanks, but that filters larger stuff.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Fuel filters are very inexpensive to start with. However, just run your engine without one. Then when your carburetor clogs up and you have to rebuild it you'll understand why a fuel filter is necessary. There's a small wire mesh screen in the carburetor the will catch a lot of the debris but some will still get through and clog you jets.