Flyer Production

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Here is another gas tank I have been messing around with. Similar to the vintage Indian gas tanks. Stainless steel and all tig welded construction. These take a bit longer to make than a flat side tank as there is more forming and welding involved. I pressure tanks up to check for leaks then turn off the air. Four hours later it hadn't lost any pressure so this tank will not leak. No sealer was used.

Sportsman Gas Tanks by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Sportsman Gas Tanks by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Reactions: Hud

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
This machine was put through it paces out on the open road today. It has an electric starter as it's only means of starting. No back up system so it has to be reliable. Started every time! We've been working on a pedal start feature for the centrifugal clutch, too, but that is still in development. This drop loop frame design has been great to work with as there is lot's of room for different engine configurations. Getting the starter to fit comfortably was still a challenge. The engine has been moved back and up in the frame, which required a redesign of the mounts. I have also made plenty of updates to the reduction drive system.

Bonneville #6 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

You can see the key start on the tool box in this picture and I finally got around to figuring out a simple clutch guard.

Bonneville #6 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Here is a simpler design boardie seat. No bells and whistles, just a simple and effective design.

Lower Cost BTR Seat by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Reactions: Hud

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
Wow that tank has all the curve's and the bonneville 6 what a beautiful machine
will the tank fit the sportsman 200 frame's? Just thinking and the lower cost btr seats do they come raw leather so i could carve a design in and then seal a colour into it great work pat

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Preview of the fork design I am working on for my race bike. Have made a few subtle changes from this picture but the basic design is finished. Modeled after a 1918 or so Harley design. This is a Solidworks drawing saved as a jpeg file. You can see the internal compression and rebound springs and piston. You can't see the leather friction washers in the friction shock, but they are in there.

New Sportsman Springer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

New Sportsman Springer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

It's fun seeing the parts cut for the first time after hammering out the design details!

Laser Cut Parts by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The good things just keep coming...
I understand that you are building a business and that a business has to make a profit or it can't keep being a business, but what is fun for someone like me is seeing that profit is certainly not all that you are about. Your passion for this sport, appreciation of it's history, understanding of technological advances and drive to keep doing better sets you apart and keeps raising the bar of excellence. Other than being an old guy up in the balcony of the peanut gallery, I have no part in this other than as a minor cheerleader... but, Pat, you make me proud. I've enjoyed knowing you as a member here and watching the steady progression of your work. Well done, sir!
SB

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
her·e·tic
ˈherəˌtik/
noun
a person believing in or practicing religious heresy.
synonyms: dissenter, nonconformist, apostate, freethinker, iconoclast.
a person holding an opinion at odds with what is generally accepted.

Mechanics and design are my religion. We live in a world of cheap, un-thought out, disposable, ugly, junk. With very few exceptions.

Thank You for being one of the exceptions.....Amen.

Elwood Blues "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now."

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Progress on new fork design! Here is the rear fork weldment coming together.

Sportsman Springer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

And this is a roughed out front section. Man, I sure hope I did my homework correctly on this design. Guess I won't know till I take them for a spin! They will add 3/4" to my wheelbase and add 1 1/2 degrees of rake. Steering response will be slower, but that was the intended result for high speed stability.

Sportsman Springer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Truss forks are a challenge. They seem so simple, but there is a lot of dimension to the clearences and bends. Fender clears. This is the aluminum drum Worksman front wheel with 11 ga stainless spokes, a Worksman INB front fork, and a properly clearenced to the rods front fender. Head tube is from a Worksman INB and the headset is also all stock INB. This whole front end is going on a pedal bike with panel tanks and two speed kick back rear hub.

Sportsman Truss Fork by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

This things a tank. These forks are just super solid and truss is heavy duty, too. The rods are solid 3/8" stainless round bar.

Sportsman Truss Fork by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Wow!

I’m really digging the Sager/Harley style springers!

I imagine you’re using quality steel here, with proper bearings do you think they would be sturdy enough for a mid sized motorcycle (500ish lbs.)?

Looking forward to seeing your progress on these.

-Kirk