Driving in mid to heavy traffic tips

GoldenMotor.com

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
I just moved apts and been riding on a one lane roads sometimes 2 lane roads with not a lot of traffic the past year when i got my motorized bike ,to city and (Oakland country mi) to mainly 2 lane roads but there are some with one lane with mid to heavy traffic mainly rush hour etc there are quite times but still some traffic about ,my avg speed is 20-25mph and i am just getting a bit edgy on how i going to drive with this traffic when to time comes when weather get better,does anyone drive in mid to heavy traffic and any tips on how to go about it ,i been looking at the map on finding ways to go on side streets etc places that i will be going on my bike , but there be a lot if times where i will have to go on the main roads and cannot avoid it .
the bike is fully registered as a assembled moped as well so i be in my rights to drive on main roads i also have drove vespa scooter and motorbikes as well (in England been here in usa 10 years )but those kept up with the traffic but not these bikes at these low speeds and usa roads are a lot worse than English roads and traffic .

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
In my state, motorized bikes are pretty much limited to roads with speed limits of 35 mph or less. That feels safe.
is there a sidewalk available on the the fast roads you travel? You may be able to idle your motor and pedal the sidewalk in the dangerous areas with high speed limits. You must be very careful on the sidewalk to avoid endangering joggers, dog walkers, moms with strollers, etc. .

wing nut

Aug 9, 2012
warren p.a.
where i live , the biking lane is also the parking lane ...& also the trash & litter throwing lane
sometimes i have to go out into regular traffic to avoid a parked car , or an opening door ...but there are many pedaling bikers about at all times of the year .at least the cagers some what know we are there . it did take a long time to feel comfortable
i just stay as far to the right as i can get , if there is space on the right of the white line ....i own it

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Hey Oldpot,
Just so happens that I lived and worked in and around Oakland Co. MI most of my life and know it very well. I spent most of my time around Warren, Madison Hts.,Troy, Rochester, Utica, Romeo, Oxford, Lk. Orion, Farmington, ect... Maybe I can help, in what general area are you?. Just a city or town will do, or reference some major cross streets.

Oh ya you have to go to Lapuma's Coney Island in Rochester on Main St for a coney dog and taco with a red pop, and any National Coney Island for a Honi sandwich, and Ferlitios on Mack in Gross Point for anything on the menu and order a pie in advance. Best tip you will ever get...

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I spent my young years in Detroit (the 1960s) and have a memory of a Coney Island shop on practically every corner. I've sometimes wondered in this memory was really accurate. Massdrive's post would seem to indicate that it's not too far off.

But, anyway, if there's no shoulder for you to ride on on these busy roads, then is it possible to occasionally pull over and let the traffic that's backed up behind you pass? If not, then it might be that you just can't ride these roads at certain times of day.

I've got a few of those roads around here. It sorta rankles that I can't ride a legal vehicle at some times. But that's the reality.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
ty for the comments ,my city (clawson) as a 35 limit and some citys around me troy madison heights have 40-45 , not sure i can go on pavement and peddle even with engine off if its registered as a moped??i do stay right as possible and drive right of the white line as well when i can , i might be ok but sometime has i been driving car notice bad holes drain holes etc that are in the way so i would have to move out to avoid them , i just have to have my wits with me and watching up behind me,
i will have to try that coney island next time get up that way massdrive ,i got the bike to ride to my veg garden 3 miles away , now its 12 miles away and got to go thorough 4 citys now so if i decide to ride it there i need to find best way hehe.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Whenever this question is asked I always offer this advice:

"Ride as if you are invisible"

In other words pretend that no one can see you and adjust your riding to compensate for it. In fact, to many drivers you are invisible. They simply do not see or react to bicycles and often even motorcycles. Always expect the unexpected. Never assume traffic is going to yield to you or recognise that you're even there.

Tom

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Having been a bicycle commuter since '97 and only a couple of those years where I had a motorbike. I've learned in that time, at least in Memphis, that I have to ride in the lane where a cars passenger tires would be. This allows me to avoid the crap that tends to collect near the curb and keeps me in front of people where they can see me. If I'm near the curb they will try to pass me without leaving MY lane and possibly cause me to wreck. You think they are stopping if they do that? And according to the laws in Tennessee I should ride "..as far to the right as possible, while avoiding road hazards and trash." This puts me right where a cars passenger tires ride. And if I am riding and a car is behind me, understand this, it is MY lane. If they want to run me over then so be it. I am on good terms with my Lord. I will not put myself in danger by trying to "stay out of their way". They can kiss a hairy one for all I care. Since I started riding in this manner I have not been run off the road, I have WAY less flats and people treat me like any other piece of traffic, which is exactly what I am, whether I am in spandex pedaling my bootie off or on a motorbike that will do 35mph.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I do that too, claim the lane, and if cars come up I let them pass me in the other lane or when stopped I wave them by. Helps stop the confusion and rude swipe-by passes.

desertsteve

Dec 21, 2013
Victorville, CA United States
One of the first things I did when I knew I'd sharing the road with "cagers" was go down to my local hardware store and buy the brightest and loudest safety vest I could find. I don't even go to the corner market without it.

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Re desertsteve's good advice, and that of 2door as well. Does anyone fly one of those nerdy flags on plastic poles that you sometimes see on recumbents and little kids bikes? My ride is a powered recumbent tandem and I have thought about it. When folks see us they notice us, but they have to see us first, per 2door's observation. I can see this being a literal drag at 30+, but if I am doing over 20, I'm goin' downhill in Oklahoma overdrive.......

Thx all

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Any time I remember that I was going to put one of those flags on our trailer, the store seems to be out of stock. I don't use one myself since I sit high enough for drivers to see me (my vis-vest helps there too). If you're on a low-profile ride like a recumbent, it makes sense to me. Around here, if they can't see you over the hood of their SUV they'll drive right over you.

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
CTripps, both you and desertsteve are smart to wear those vests. But note to recumbent bikers/trikers - your seat hides most of it if YOU wear it, but you can often have your SEATBACK "wear" it.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
CTripps, both you and desertsteve are smart to wear those vests. But note to recumbent bikers/trikers - your seat hides most of it if YOU wear it, but you can often have your SEATBACK "wear" it.
An "added bonus" to the vest is that you can put on your knapsack or a small backpack and then put on the vest (or wrap it around the pack before you put it on).

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Usually when I ride I either have a kiddie trailer behind or my blike with attached sidecar. Either way I fly an American flag on a pole of some kind, usually an old fishing rod. The flag creates a bit of drag, but is highly visible. I can't help but think that it makes the ride safer for me and my dog.
SB

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
silverbear

Flying a flag the laws like as a smart touch. I'm doin' it, but with a Cardinals banner. South St. Louisians are as patriotic as the next tribal city neighborhood, but we REALLY pledge allegiance to the redbirds!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
silverbear

Flying a flag the laws like as a smart touch. I'm doin' it, but with a Cardinals banner. South St. Louisians are as patriotic as the next tribal city neighborhood, but we REALLY pledge allegiance to the redbirds!

If I could find the American Indian flag in a small size I'd fly that, Probably anything colorful that catches the eye is good. Don't much like orange plastic, however.
SB

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
again ty for the tips ,i was thinking about a flag myself but a union jack might make it worse than better heheh(i am from england ) i do use a helmet etc and as it classed as a assembled moped i still have right on the road , but i will be staying as right as possable if can , hope to get it out of shed next few days see if it will start after this cold winter .