FTC Tadpole II

GoldenMotor.com

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I've put this one aside for the moment, but am happy with progress so far,
I'm still contemplating front brakes, that look like being Push bike or pocket bike discs, with pocket bike calipers.
The pocket bike motor runs a chain reduction box to a jackshaft (crank spindle) with pocket bike rear sprocket to a bicycle sprocket then back to a 3 speed Hub, with my gearing worked out to around 60 K at 10 000 Rpm.
The Red one 'The Crossbow' was built for last years local no brakes Billy cart race, and was taken to 80 Kph (50MPH) down hill!
It handled nicely at speed, although took a little practice at lower speed.
At Average speeds (25 to 40 Kph) you could comfortably let go of the bars and lean steer. I belive a true FTC has no direct steering link? but that seems crazy!
As I'm only allowed 5 photos per post, here's the Crossbow first.

Attachments

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Thanks Birdmann,
Just need a better motor for her?
But will go talk to Tony at RockSolid and see if he can help with crank and or piston.
But today I plan to pull the Tadpole out of hiding, It mostly just needs some steering tie rods, which I have a few 2nd handies at work to go through stripped from Quad wrecks.
And then a few new spokes and I should be able to give her an unpowered test ride.
So I better go to work today and see what work the Tourists have made for me.
I just need to put a chainsaw back together, and I'll have a bench 'free' for the Tadpole.
I've got two old 'Muckalots' here to make one, in exchange for the spare 19mm Walbro!
Which will be going on my next 'Good' Motor build.
This Trike will be running a 49cc 'Big bore' pocket bike motor, Port timed, ported, fullcircle crank, 14mm Delorto, and Hi Comp, extra finned Head. I have a few pocket bikes which are more 'Models' to me than 'Bikes' but I've made them go fast enough to give a scare.
And I find the 14mm Delorto works well on these, but also fit's very neatly in the space I have for it, I need to make an inlet manifold extention, and will eventualy want a ipe for it, But have made an old Ht pipe fit for now.
I'll tidy up here a little and drag it all out.
I had more photos of it but they've been deleted, so I'll take some more for you all.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
As you can see most of it is there.
Need to strip it down again and finish off a bit of welding,
Finish building the wheels,
and get some steering,
And she'll be out for an unpowered Test.

Attachments

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Front suspension is a bit like an Old Morgan I saw once.
Worked well on the last one I built.
But still in prototype stage. I need to get a Lathe!
Just a little one would do, big enough to put a small crankshaft in!

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
The Tropics ain't kind on machinery.
And hence there ain't that many old lathes for sale up this way.
My old man has lathe and Mill , and don't use 'em.
I tell him to look after them, because one day ...
But he's 2000Km's a way.
I use to enjoy a drive like that!
But these days I'm cripple after more than an hour in a car.
However I should be flying down soon, and trying to make a to do list!

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
The Tadpole has it's bench back.
I'm working out the brake mounts, They are alloy wheelchair hubs, and I'm hopping that my reasonable quality rims don't notice a couple of spokes missing, as I have drilled and tapped three of the spoke holes for the disc.
It all looks like fitting, but snug.
The tie rods look like giving me enough tilt for now, although I had planned for a little more. The photo gives an idea of full tilt.

Attachments

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Next mounting the calipers, and the tie rods!
I have no experience with 3 speed hubs, but have a Nexus Inter.3 hub here in what appears to be VGC does anyone know if it will handle the power of a 'mildly' tuned pocket bike motor? I'm sure I've read of people using them with China Girls.
It won't have to do a lot of Miles but they will most likely be hard miles.
So finish lacing the wheels,
Weld in the rear shock mounts.
And the lower engine mounts.
I have a few welds to finish off on the frame, but want to get all the mounts tacked in first and everything working so the frame can be finish welded, painted and not have to be repainted!

Attachments

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I have the Tadpole out again.
Tacked in an engine mount, and next is a rear shock mount.
I am hoping to get a lathe soon which has inspired me to get her out again, as I need to make some front end bushes and what not as well as a jackshaft.
I'm not quite happy with my king pins and would like to build another set with bushes and a few slight changes.
Steering links are next.

Attachments