Overflow re-use?

GoldenMotor.com

Xeno360

Feb 1, 2011
US-NY
Hi guys. So I recently put a 48cc engine on my bike, and the overflow is spitting out quite a bit of gas here and there. Enough to make my pants smell like gas horribly (Since the tube is aimed directly at me). I ziptied a soda bottle to the bike frame and have the tube running into the bottle. (Hope this works) anyways Is it safe to re-use the overflow gas?
.wee.

Ted

Apr 20, 2010
Leavenworth Wa.
I don't think I would, if it isn't the right kind of plastic the gas can leach and soften the plastic, what you need to do is stop the leak, if you can get the vent hose up higher than the tank so that any gas that gets in it will flow back.

Xeno360

Feb 1, 2011
US-NY
Oh yeah! Der Plastic bottle wont work! Hah. Vent hose?

Do you mean take the overflow hose and have it spun upward?

I believe the vent hose is the hose on the opposite side of the engine that isn't connected to anything. Nothing comes out of it and it doesnt seem to do anything so I just unhooked it and have the brass nozzle with no tube on it. Was that not the right thing to do? Lol.

Xeno360

Feb 1, 2011
US-NY
Not sure what an Inline Filter is, I just bought the kit about a week ago and put it all together. Would the carb come like that? Cus its been leaking out the overflow ever since the first time I put gas in it. I thought maybe I had an adjustment wrong. Sorry, I'm not to good with engines! I just wanna have fun using it! lol.

This is the kit I purchased:
GRUBEE SkyHawk GT2B 48cc Slant Head (Standard Finish) Bicycle Engine Kit - GRUBEE SkyHawk GT2B 48cc Slant Head (Standard Finish) Motorized Bicycle Engine Kits

If it is the float I'll have to take a look at it tmrw :(

Xeno360

Feb 1, 2011
US-NY
Hey guys. I already posted a reply but I included a link so it says waiting for approval so it may not display for awhile. anyways, what I wrote in it was:

The kit I bought was new. Could the float have "trash at the needle" if its new? =X

God this is a pain :(. The bike was running fine the other night though. and it was leaking as it is since I put gas in it for the first time

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the float could have a pinhole in it and filling up with gas. 'cause, if you can fill up any type of bottle with an overflow tube, something's wrong. there should be just enough overflow to make whatever the tube is next to a little dirty, not a constant drip.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Not sure what an Inline Filter is, I just bought the kit about a week ago and put it all together. Would the carb come like that? Cus its been leaking out the overflow ever since the first time I put gas in it. I thought maybe I had an adjustment wrong. Sorry, I'm not to good with engines! I just wanna have fun using it! lol.

This is the kit I purchased:
GRUBEE SkyHawk GT2B 48cc Slant Head (Standard Finish) Bicycle Engine Kit - GRUBEE SkyHawk GT2B 48cc Slant Head (Standard Finish) Motorized Bicycle Engine Kits

If it is the float I'll have to take a look at it tmrw :(

The kit should have a screen filter in the tank this is not always enough. I thought all the kits came with a fuel filter too. http://motorbicycling.com/attachmen...-fuel-filter-orientation-ngk-b7hs-filter1.jpg The rubber hose that feeds the fuel to the carb where actual trash can make its way to the valve seat at the float bowl. This is where you put your filter. Carbs are delicate and need filters they can clog up easily etc.

inline fuel filter - Google Search

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
I caped my overflow off. Connecting it to the intake port will only result in your motor gulping down large quanitys of fuel at high speed/vibration.

I think its for races where you want your carb fuel level EXACT no matter what the cost and flooding would be a disaster, and a little spillage is AOK.

If you cap it, the carb could flood, especialy on long, steel hills, but its unlikey you would make it up such a steep hill, or wanna go down one (or need the motor to go down!), And iv had no problems with the steep ass hills around my place.

Xeno360

Feb 1, 2011
US-NY
Thats kind of a good idea! lol. I live in a large city, Not many hills. So I doubt it would flood. So to cap it.. I could probably just throw some tape over the hole or something right? What'd you do?

Also: Anyone have any idea why my clutch would feel stiff? Like.. Hard to pull. I have it tightened to a correct tightness to where I pull it and push the lock and it works fine (but not to tight). But, Pulling the lever hurts my hand and takes A LOT of strength to do. Its kind a pain in the ass! Would oiling the pin inside the clutch allow it to slide easier or is it suppose to be tight?