Clutch Screw

GoldenMotor.com

brobie15

Dec 8, 2008
AR
Does anyone know where I can purchase that little set screw that you remove when you adjust the flower nut on the clutch? I live in a rural area and have checked three local stores with no luck. The auto supply had one the same diameter, but longer. I have also checked several websites with parts and I haven't seen a clutch listed, let alone the screw. If anyone has any idea about where I could get one or more, it would be very appreciated.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Does anyone know where I can purchase that little set screw that you remove when you adjust the flower nut on the clutch? I live in a rural area and have checked three local stores with no luck. The auto supply had one the same diameter, but longer. I have also checked several websites with parts and I haven't seen a clutch listed, let alone the screw. If anyone has any idea about where I could get one or more, it would be very appreciated.
Maybe this will help....... http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=3473

brobie15

Dec 8, 2008
AR
Thank you, fair racing. I didn't realize that you couldn't just use a regular m4x.7. without shaping it. I haven't been able to find anything in that size.I would really like to just buy some ready to use, but at this point, I would be willing to grind a regular one if I can find it. Don't know how it will work out, though, as I haven't had much grinder experience.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Thank you, fair racing. I didn't realize that you couldn't just use a regular m4x.7. without shaping it. I haven't been able to find anything in that size.I would really like to just buy some ready to use, but at this point, I would be willing to grind a regular one if I can find it. Don't know how it will work out, though, as I haven't had much grinder experience.
Yeah anything you find the head will be too big. It's dog easy to make one....I should make up a bunch someday as a freebie. Don't forget to take a little off the top! .shft.

Did the head on yours strip out like mine?.duh.

brobie15

Dec 8, 2008
AR
Thank you Pablo and Technocyclist. There is a Radio Shack 25 miles from here. I will check that on Tuesday. I stripped the threads on mine.The head is still o.k. I was so busy worrying about losing it because it was so tiny that I must have cross-threaded it. I am hoping that I didn't damage the threads in the hole as well. Pablo, I'll bet you could sell some if you made them up. I would definitely be willing to buy a few. I know it would probably take more of your time than it would be worth, though.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Just use some locktight, then it won`t just come out even if the thread are stripped...My star nut rarely moves on my clutch,so far...I put a mark on it and never moved, but better to be safe.....

Last edited:

brobie15

Dec 8, 2008
AR
Great idea, stuartracing! If I can't locate a new one at Radio Shack on Tuesday, I am definitely going to give the locktite a try. I was starting to wonder what I was going to do as I haven't seen any around here that I could even rework to fit. The screw isn't that loose in the hole anyway, so I will bet the locktite will work fine. It will be easy enough to check if I mark the star nut as you suggested. Thank you.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
In a pinch, you could get away with "threading" (3/4 of a turn in, 1/2 turn out, 3/4 in, 1/2 out, use oil and you can re-tap the hole. Take your time) a slightly larger screw into the hole if you have stripped it beyond loctite. it's not a crucial fastener, it's just there to keep the flower nut from moving.

Alternately, use a tiny dab of JB Weld to hold in the stripped screw.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
In a pinch, you could get away with "threading" (3/4 of a turn in, 1/2 turn out, 3/4 in, 1/2 out, use oil and you can re-tap the hole. Take your time) a slightly larger screw into the hole if you have stripped it beyond loctite. it's not a crucial fastener, it's just there to keep the flower nut from moving.

Alternately, use a tiny dab of JB Weld to hold in the stripped screw.
That`s what I did....Found a screw around here and it caught a few threads , plus some tocktight and I was confident that it would be ok....