sha air filter

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I would definitely use foam with it. All it takes is one tiny pc of sand and you're on the side of the road trying to clean your carb.

Have to rig it so as not to get sucked and bunched up in the carburetor venturi.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yup, foam filters should have oil. Just a dab. I use the oil that goes with that engine but you can buy fancy stuff too

Just what I do. I wash em with warm water. Most folks use soap or special cleaners but I don't. Then squeeze dry. Then add just a bit of oil and work it in and around. Very little is enough but use enough so that it feels uniformly semi-slimy. Re-instal. Easy, 2 minute deal. Not at all a huge deal.

fischer550

Mar 24, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
The thing is with this filter, you cannot remove the foam element. There are metal mesh screens on both sides of the foam part, and you can't take the foam part out so I don't know how I would squeeze it dry or how I would distribute the oil on it evenly.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Is not that critical. Air dry would be fine and dabing oil with your finger will work fine as well.

The oil just helps to trap smaller bits of schmutz. It will be a while before you need to clean em.

I have engines that run fine that I have never cleaned or oiled the filters. It is good maintenance but not gonna kill your engine if your lax about it. Will just need to clean the carb if it gets really gunked up.

Good to keep on top of it but not terrible or a huge concern.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The thing is with this filter, you cannot remove the foam element. There are metal mesh screens on both sides of the foam part, and you can't take the foam part out so I don't know how I would squeeze it dry or how I would distribute the oil on it evenly.
Hello bro, my suggestion for cleaning the foam filter is soak it with Windex glass cleaner or similar product, let it soak for a few minutes, then wash it out good with HOT tap water.

To dry it, thats easy, just sling all the water out that you can and then if you have a compressor use high pressure air to blow it the rest of the way out.

If you dont have an air compressor the next trick is one that I have used many times for small projects, just get out the Hair Drier and take a seat and spend a few minute putting the hot air on it and you'll have it dry and ready to oil up and go with.

I live in a dusty area and ride a lot on dirt roads so using filter oil on the foam or cloth filters is not optional but a must for protecting the engine from sucking in a pile of dirt which is harder on a 2 stroke than any other engine actually since the air and fuel go straight into the crankcase and directly onto and into the bearings, I don't mess around with whether or not I keep clean air flowing into the engine, its one of the life bloods of the engine for getting as long of life that is possible from it, good parts, good tuning, good quality oil and clean dirt free air going into the mix is essential for having a good running long life engine in my opinion, NOT an area that needs to be skimped on.

I like the filter with the foam that you listed a link to, I haven't seen that one before but I saved the link and I plan to get one of them myself for the (Black & Yellow) Schwinn Bumble Bee build I plan to get start on again when I have the time.

Thanks for the link and I hope something I mentioned here will help you out.

Map

brnot

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I pour my two stroke gas mix Onto my foam and K&N's filters then fling them everywhere. Right after that fire up the bike with out the choke lol. Red Line around the block and it flawless every time. With the least amount of fuss for me anyway.

By the way my my PHBG carby will puke oil bake onto my filter it will be saturated at the bottom every two weeks of riding. Dripping by this time in the summer as I tend to run richer then. ''air density''

I just rinse them off and repeat. Two strokes are a bit oily. No valves..

I read in another thread you had oil. Looked a little rich to me. If you have a sock on your filter mght wanna take it off?

Me lives in a high elevation desert. Got 20,000 miles on a Morini. Runs flawless with mad power. Work is too far these days a winters well..... This is when it runs the best! I be on it!;):D:)

Was on it in the dead of winter one year and it was below zero. ''this was the closet I could get to sea level air dencity''

Was on it in a Jason type jump suit with a ski mask walking into the Seven Eleven. At six foot tall. That poor guy prolly thought I was gonna rob the place. Then I busted out like Eddie Murpie in a movie scene.

This place got a Kleenex ?
He prolly thought I was saying clean axe dunno?
Gotta imagine snotcycles hanging off my face.
He did look scared was a funny moment. At five in the morning.

Was a sweat run! I got one last mod to try out!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Had the great joy of living down your way, for a much to brief a time. (awesome and good folks)

But, literally being a Connecticut Yankee, had to learn some of the varying tech terms. "mash the button down" and to "Waller" (sp) out the hole. For examples. But was so much more colorful and engaging then how I would state to "push" & ream out"

LOL, my name, not nic name, but how I was introduced was as "Dan Yankee" Always followed by some thing like "But he's alright" I always hoped they'd lose the "but" but never did and was a compliment.

Hey! This is how we can get filthy rich. A northern/southern dictionary like a Spanish to English dictionary. To translate between the vernaculars, dialects but in a humerus manor! That really could be funny.

Sorry for the ramble, Fisher. Way to much coffee....... .shft.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Had the great joy of living down your way, for a much to brief a time. (awesome and good folks)

But, literally being a Connecticut Yankee, had to learn some of the varying tech terms. "mash the button down" and to "Waller" (sp) out the hole. For examples. But was so much more colorful and engaging then how I would state to "push" & ream out"

LOL, my name, not nic name, but how I was introduced was as "Dan Yankee" Always followed by some thing like "But he's alright" I always hoped they'd lose the "but" but never did and was a compliment.

Hey! This is how we can get filthy rich. A northern/southern dictionary like a Spanish to English dictionary. To translate between the vernaculars, dialects but in a humerus manor! That really could be funny.

Sorry for the ramble, Fisher. Way to much coffee....... .shft.

Oh yeah, and did you get a chance to hear how some of us country boys end the sentence with the word evafang.

example: We went down to the branch out back and did a little fish-in and evafang and then we came back up to tha house and dressed out the fish we'd caught and evafang, funny thang was is when ole Billy here went and lost the biggest dad gum fish we saw the whole day, but that was ok I guess cause we still had a purdy good time and ened up with a purdy good mess of fish when it was all said and done.

This is how us country fellas around here would describe this event and some would be much more colorfull than this..LOL!

Its all good... Yanks, Country boys and hill billies.... all good with me