Rear Brake suggestions for Chopper build

GoldenMotor.com

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I would appreciate any suggestions and/or pics of the rear brake setups you folks are using on your choppers. I am rebuilding my first bike, a Grubee Whopper Chopper frame, and in the process I discarded the band brake and have put a new rim and 3" tire on the rear. Would a set of OCC V-Brakes possibly work? I have a disc on the front and will probably upgrade it once I get the bike in working order again. This bike has a 24" rear wheel and 26" front. I have not seen much reference to this frame over the years and can only guess not many folks have them so I will use try to use my "advanced" computer skills and post a picture of my rear wheel setup as it currently is.
Thanks in advance,
Dan

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
V brakes are good. What is the power and drive train setup? If its chain drive you can put a small disk on a jack shaft would be even better............Curt

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The downside of a remote brake location is that if the chain breaks or comes off, then it isn't working. I'm in favour of the v brakes, if fitting disc or drum to the wheel hub assembly is difficult.