SBP pipe brazing

GoldenMotor.com

fischer550

Mar 24, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
I am getting a black SBP pipe, and once I find a good header length I'd like to weld the pipe or braze. I don't have a welder, I can't weld or braze, and I understand that sbp pipe comes with steel and copper parts. Can I take it to a muffler shop and have it brazed, and if so how much do you think it'd cost?

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I'd look at ditching the copper bits and getting the exhaust shop to weld it rather than braze. Brazing would likely work,

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
you can most likely braze the pipe with a Mapp torch from Home depot or other places, propane don't get hot enough to braze, but mapp certainly does, and I've run brazed exhaust systems on my Buell for years with no trouble, braze connections are almost as strong as a weld when done properly, just be sure the metal is very clean before doing each braze connection and you'll be just fine, use a small grinder to clean off the metal surfaces right before brazing, you can probably use course sandpaper too if on a budget.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Your stock pipe has the top end, get your tuning done with the copper and then just measure how much you need of the pipe to to weld it to the expansion chamber.

Or Silver Solder is supposed to bond copper to steal, I have some but not tried it yet, you just need a mepp torch, most hardware stores have them, it's just a bottle and re-useable nozzle.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I've bonded copper directly to steel with my TIG welder but that was more just to see if it could be done... Copper acts about the same way brass does since it'll flow into tiny voids like brazing but it requires a lot more heat before it melts and flows. just straighten a piece of solid copper wire and use the same flux that coats a brazing rod, but it does take a really hot flame or arc heat to act like brass, and it also makes the steel brittle if you get it hot enough to melt the steel and let the 2 metals mix so it's great for decoration, but don't trust it for strength... Brazing it to steel for the exhaust pipe using a brass or nickel silver rod will make a nice strong connection or Tig welding it directly to the steel would work as long as you don't heat the steel hot enough to let the metals mix with eachother.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I don't know about your local muffler shop situation but there are many around me and they can do some fun stuff for you if catch them when there are no cars on the rack for $20.

The one around the corner from me put a glass pack muffler on the end of my SBP pipe for like $30 including material on Bad Mojo.

If you have no material, skill or tools just catch them when they are slow and deal in cash ;-}

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That's pretty cool looking and it looks like it belongs there too... But yeah... best time to go to the shops for stuff like that is at closing time or after hours if you can find someone who don't mind and likes to play with stuff like this...
At least that's what I tell customers when they want certain things done that spark my interest... I usually tell them to come back at closing time or to meet me at the shop on Sunday, then I can take my time and have fun with it without caring how much I need to make on the project... basically, this means try to find a small "mom and pop" owned shop where the owner shows some interest in your project... you'll be surprised how much they're willing to do for you for next to nothing.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
I don't know about your local muffler shop situation but there are many around me and they can do some fun stuff for you if catch them when there are no cars on the rack for $20.

The one around the corner from me put a glass pack muffler on the end of my SBP pipe for like $30 including material on Bad Mojo.

If you have no material, skill or tools just catch them when they are slow and deal in cash ;-}
hows that thing sound?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
hows that thing sound?
It actually sounded pretty good.
I took the can off the X-pipe end but left the baffle intact and shoved it into the big muffle elbow, then welded a washer over the end elbow the size of the x-pipe output tube.

It really lowered the tone and volume of the exhaust without effecting the x-chambers power boosting effect.