Alternative to FD?

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I've been thinking about this, and I like FD for it's simplicity, but it has wet grip and tyre wear drawbacks.

Has anyone tried an everted (turned inside out) drive belt fitted tightly, or stuck, to a pulley on the back wheel, with the drive to it coming from a toothed roller?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
if I understand you, that has not been tried.
Conventional belt drive systems (sheave) can also slip in wet weather.
I guess that is why you are interested in a toothed belt.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I found something of interest at least to me. One can buy belts with teeth inside and out; this means a belt can be held on a pulley and drive it, while the outside is driven by another toothed wheel, and replaced when worn too much. The entire arrangement can be very minimalist, which I like. I will think a bit more about this.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I think I'm reinventing this sort of thing, where a gear drove the inside of a bmx type wheel.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Yup, dat de bunny. My thoughts are to use a large diameter driven pulley, of x number of teeth, and fit a belt to it with the same number of teeth and circumference. Drive the toothed outside of this nice quiet rubber belt with a smaller wheel, and off you go.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There are 2 levers on the bars, so it probably has a manual clutch. An exposed gear will be a noisy thing anyway. Some very old farm equipment uses them, and they have to run dry as grease or oil would attract loads of grit, but there's a very audible signal from them.

The LEM is an internal ring as well, which will trap abrasive particles rather than shed them. Interesting - what about a pair of external gears which are held close together?

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
Last edited: