Raise the level of PVC?... Engine tilt and more than vapor passes breather valve PVC

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I have my engine tilted back about 17 degrees and so I modified the carb manifold so the fuel bowl in the carb had the float work correctly.

It is an 80202-0430 70's era Briggs and Stratton side shaft 3hp 4 stroke engine.

I fill it slightly less, just 5 ounces of oil as it is tilted back. The baffles still are allowing oil to get into the breather and the hose connection to the paper air filter wet it a while of riding. A foam filter you can clean and some varieties actually have you oil them and ring out purposely. The paper filter if oily is garbage.

My carb made by Briggs only works with the paper air filter, otherwise it would not idle well. I got the air filter box that is meant for the carb and am using the breather connection back to the air filter as normal.

I know older Briggs engines just vented to outside air, but that may get you in trouble with CARB (California).

Since the splash fork on the bottom of the connecting rod goes though more of the oil bath toward the rear of the engine crankcase I felt it safe to do.

I did think that there could be some oil getting through the valve, but the only thing that had me thinking that it was really bad was when the probably original valve from the 70's was stuck open. A new one I though was the fix.

It worked fine and then I noticed the oil on the paper filter when it was smokey again. With engine braking down hill at a fast speed and then throttle applied there was a lag with the oil wet filter. Replacing that fixed it, it sometimes happens again and the oil is starting to wet the filter again.

I verified the breather valve is working correctly as a one way valve.

My option short of major change in how the big size engine could fit my bike frame, I am to raise the height by about 5 inches higher where the breather valve sits. I would make a hose connection from where it is now. The hose would go straight up and then connect to the breather and the the output as usual would go the the connection at the air filter.

My though is that the higher level where the breather would sit would equate to the oil not getting high up enough to get into the valve, pass though, and then not ever get back in the sump. To change how the baffles are configured is a much more difficult way I would suppose.

I wonder if this could work?

Its a thought anyway, and would require some custom way of making the connection to the area where the breather would other wise normally be. An old breather I could just remove the valve components.

The higher up location for where the breather would then be needing an input hose connection. I would have to make a fabrication for the input that would switch it from the normally rectangle shape with the gasket and modify it so it is a hose connection.

Another manufacturer breather valve I might go with if easier to do.

Anyone have this problem and fixed it somehow? This is what I thinking of so far.

MT

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Re: Raise the level of PVC?... Engine tilt and more than vapor passes breather valve

I spoke with a friend who has a motorcycle and I asked about the Oil Separator that is on some engines before the Crankcase Breather Valve (PCV or positive crankcase ventilation valve).

I even noticed that my pickup trucks engine has an oil separator too.

I intend to make one by having a piece of pipe or tube, but much larger diameter than the hose connection that is what normally comes out of the breather valve on the side of my motor bike engine.

The breather valve will be moved up higher than where it is on the side of the engine by about 5 inches. The oil separator will be between that as a vertical channel that prevents oil droplets to ever getting up as high as the breather valve and then onward to the feed back to the air filter at the carburetor.

I could add some baffles if I make it out of metal. The detail of why the widening of the tube going from the side of the engine by the valve and tappets is so the pressure drops even more at that location when the breather valve opens. I don't want pressure to be so much that it carries other than oil vapors upward. The oil droplets should be too heavy to make it to the breather valve and hopefully strop the oily filter problem.

MT

Any helpful comments appreciated!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Re: Raise the level of PVC?... Engine tilt and more than vapor passes breather valve

The oil breather I'm getting and will use in conjunction with a oil separator that I am going to make out of some 2 inch diameter inside measure pipe with mesh screen inside.

It seems that they sell these as pairs so I guess that I'll just keep the extra as a spare. I'll have to make the top of the verticle mounted oil sperater a hole 1-1/4 inch so I can use the gromet to seal the PCV to the seperators output.

The PCV has a diameter output that I can make smaller at the end of a hose with an adapter so it can route to the air filter by the carburetor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WWRK7U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

So the part is not a set and just one breather with grommet and no check valve. Not a problem as only about 8 dollars. The valve at Auto Zone I might use is this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/AZ-Filters-PCV-Valve/_/N-8gd7h?itemIdentifier=830795_0_0_

Only about 3 dollars for the valve and I will see about a larger hose and adapter to fit breather. The breather does not come apart, but I can modify it and make it also reassemble after cleaning the foam as it gets moist and needs cleaning.

The original valve I think needs to be dis-activated and just be a routing to the breather up much higher and that is what I'm planning to do.

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

I came across a 3 foot section of 1 & 1/2 inch diameter steel tubing that was chrome plated. I'm thinking a short section I will use between the crankcase and the automotive PCV valve. It would be where this oil separater as I would call has its highest point. Then what is nice is the valve output goes to this nice chrome plated breather.

I'll modify it so I can change or clean the foam in the breather.

Then the output of the breather to where the paper air filter box input is located the routing through a tube it will go.

I would expect the oil at low rpm or when engine is shut off would condense in the seperater to go back in the crankcase. Not that it is much, but nice to know it is not just wasted in the foam in the breather for cleaning. The paper air filter should be kept fairly dry and only minor fumes reintroduced into the carb.

MT

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

I have only to get another chance to ride, or just raise the back wheel, or run engine without one belt on rev it up and see if the oil separater works. I am expecting that now as the RTV high temp goop is dried, I'll just assemble it and its a go.

The hose input a the bottom of the seperater (the metal tube with screens mounted vertical), I will leave not glued. It fits snug and I can just remove and drain small amounts of oil. It won't be much that it is a problem between oil changes. I mean I won't need to top off oil.

The paper air filter shall work for more than a week riding every day and not be soaked in oil by then.

MT

Attachments