Gasket and Plug Wire Question

GoldenMotor.com

CMA_Decky

Dec 6, 2008
North SF Bay, CA
Hey everyone. I've just finished taking apart my bike, repainting everything (semigloss black with chevy orange engine cover, bottom half of tank is orange, top is semigloss black with orange racing stripe, stand by for pics!), and I'm in the process of putting it back together. I got the Pipelyne tuned pipe and now I need a new gasket (stock one is wrong shape). Does anyone know if the liquid gasket will be able to stand up to the heat? The one I got says it can take up to intermittent temps of 700 degrees. If this will work anyone have any tips for applying it? If it won't work does anyone know what temp spec the new gasket material should be able to stand up to? Anyone know fo someplace to by a fresh patch (dax only says stock gasket and a patch the say is perfect for intake cand carb but no word on exhaust).

On a completely different note I seem to remember one of the merchants selly a "high performance" plug wire that was red or orange, now I can't find it. I could care less about performance part but It'd be cool to have orange plug wire. I tried the local auto parts store but they don't have just the wire. Anyone remember where this part was online or where I can find the supplies to build my own?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
For a good plug wire, get a 7mm wire from an auot parts store or bike (M/C) shop.

For the gasket, many have used gaskets made from common high temp gasket material, I wouldn't try liquid gasket maker though. The exhaust gas temp is around 1000 degrees F at it's peak.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
On a completely different note I seem to remember one of the merchants selly a "high performance" plug wire that was red or orange, now I can't find it. I could care less about performance part but It'd be cool to have orange plug wire. I tried the local auto parts store but they don't have just the wire. Anyone remember where this part was online or where I can find the supplies to build my own?
We had a special on them. Sold out. I have some orange wire left. Would you like one? How long? Same price as our current Magnecor wires.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I've had good luck using regular gasket paper sealed on both sides with orange hi-temp RTV (think it says it's good to 600 or so). Don't seal the exhaust with just the RTV though, it will fail more than likely.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I got the same pipe as you...I used the stock exh. gasket and just used my dremil to shape it to the pipe.....Worked for me just fine....JMO...
P.....

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Bumping this thread, still looking for a source of high temp gasket material. Couldn't find any in my area. Does anyone have a good, proven source online?
To use as a sealer for your exh. without a gasket?????No such thing....Just buy the gasket and shape it to your pipe....And then you can ADD some red high temp Permatex silicone sealant if you really need it....Maybe I`m not understanding what you are looking for....

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I have the stitts plug wire its reddish orange( industrial plug wire copper core) and I also have the high temp exhaust gasket material one all fiber and one with a metal core. I make the exhaust gaskets or you can have the material in blank form I also have material for the intake gaskets I make them or in blank form.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
you gotta watch using used plug wires! they may look good on the outside but you cant see on the inside! it may run well at first then you may run into problems later! trust me on this , been there done that!!!!

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
just splurge the 7-8 bucks for a new 7mm wire @ your local auto parts store and be done with it! also you should be able to find gasket material there also. I bought some Mr. Gasket exhaust manifold gasket set for a car motor and got enough material to make several gaskets.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I just use a piece of coax cable I had laying around. screws into the CDI just fine, and is solid copper. I pulled the boot and connector off an automotive wire, and soldered the connector to the coax and slipped the boot on. Works wonders. Might cause some issues with electronic speedos though.

As for the gasket material... You should be able to find some at Advance Auto, Autozone, Checker, etc. I got mine at either Checker or Advance, I don't remember. I just got the regular stuff, but they did have more expensive heavy duty stuff. The plain gasket paper (almost like a cereal box cardboard) works fine if you seal it on both sides with high temp orange RTV. (not worth a crap if you do it without RTV though - it will blow in a day)

x-soldat

Jan 26, 2009
Eschenbach, Germany
you gotta watch using used plug wires! they may look good on the outside but you cant see on the inside! it may run well at first then you may run into problems later! trust me on this , been there done that!!!!
I agree with you on that fully, the one I used on the motor in the pic came off my wife's Chevrolet, carbon core/silicon boot...If you use a "recycled" plug wire you need to inspect the wire and boot for dry rotting and cracks...My biggest pet peeve with these Chinese kits is the plug wire, copper core with about three hair thin wires, and the plug cap made of hard plastic is ridiculous...Copper core wires conduct great but they will mess up the operation of an electronic speedo, if you have one carbon core is the way to go...Scott

Pablo, I have been eyeballing the air filter you guys sell, is it compatible with the GT-5...The air filter is a little different from older Happy times (the carb has been slightly redesigned)

Attachments

Last edited: