questions on head tube size and suspension forks.

GoldenMotor.com

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
I had a Schwinn that I bought some Sunlite Deluxe Springer Replica Fork - 26", 300 x 25.4mm, Threaded. They fit great. Ok, so here's the thing. I just bought a 1942 Cleveland welding co frame that has the same dimensions as the Schwinn for the head tube. I wanted to see if a set of Sunlite Deluxe Springer Replica Fork - 26", 300 x 28.6mm, Threadless would fit the CWC. (The threaded version was not available and the threadless is available and cheaper)So basically I am wondering if the fork would work if I just use a different headset for the frame to fork.
I have not bought a neck yet so, that would not be a problem. Hope this makes sense. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
not sure if i understand your question however the thread-less sets have a lot of space compared to the head tube, the bearing in them is actually what hold the thread-less tube. i do not think it would work though. when going threadless everything has to fit perfect or it could be very unsafe on a motorized bicycle

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
A 1" steerer (25.4mm) on a fork can be adapted to a 1 1/8" (28.6mm) head tube with press-in adaptors, but not the other way around. The tubes will nominally fit in there,but the problem is the inner diameter of the head tube you need to press in headset bearings. So you'll need to get a fork with a 1" steerer.