Is it possible?

GoldenMotor.com

ridendirty

Dec 13, 2013
savannah GA
hey everyone, I had this crazy idea about putting a Honda crf150r motor (with 20hp!) on a Schwinn stingray spoiler and making it street legal. Is this possible or is 20hp to much for the frame? thanks.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Well, I guess there's 50 shades of "legal", lol ;)

You'd probably want to TIG weld gusset the frame to handle the torque from that engine, if it's going to break it'll be at the corners by the welds, especially around the rear dropouts and where those tubes meet the frame.

I'd start with a clone 110 or 125cc and see how it hold up before bolting on the full-tilt boogy engine, you might find that you want to upgrade the forks, brakes, frame and everything to make it handle the speed without getting into the deep ishhh.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don't take this wrong. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ or put you down but I have to ask; why would you want to put that much horsepower on a bicycle?
Street legal? Keep up with traffic? You'd be better off, safer and legal if you just bought a motorcycle.
My advice? Don't do that.
The reasons are many. Brakes, bearings, tires, rims, frame integrity, just to name a few.

Tom

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I'm with Tom.......this is kinda like asking how to stalk a supermodel. We all have fantasies of doing it, but the reality is full of potential mayhem and legal problems.

I do admire that you 'voiced' the idea!!

Good luck!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I don't think you can make a 150cc engine mounted in a bicycle frame legal in Georgia (49cc max?). The frame being registered must be titled or have a certificate of origin if the engine is bigger. If you really want to use the Honda 150 engine on the street, mount it in an old Honda XL 125-175.
Every state is different, so search on Georgia in the laws and legislation sub-forum on this site.