custom expansion chamber?

GoldenMotor.com

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
hey everyone, is it possible to make an expansion chamber from something like sheet metal by molding it around a cone and making to cone shapes and welding them together in the middle then ataching it to a stock exhust with only the thin pipe bit ( cutting off the fat muffler bit) ? tel me what you guys think

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
all is possible in the world of metal fabrication ... I'd guess a chunk of .24 ga sheet metal would suffice, flimsy enough to work with yet stout enough to maneuver sounds like a good idea if your a decent welder./ I can only imagine how ugly an attempt by myself would look... YIKES... I was at the Tractor Trailer Supply store yesterday
Just a starring at a wire feed mig welder drooling like a kid in the candy store.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
yes here are the specs for a 66 cc

*****************************/motorbike/torquepipe.html

lol its a banned members site i guess,.... but the pipe works better than anything out there on the market. just cause he is banned does not mean he was stupid !!!! that guy knows how to mod a motor with minimum amounts of money or fancy parts !!!!

dragonfly 75 grubee

type that in google and look on the torque pipe plans there is a lot of realgood info on there !!!!!!!

my fiance made me one just like the one in the pic only out of diamond plate aluminum with a rear stinger 5/8 in ID... the one in the pic has a belly stinger to reduce noise

Attachments

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma

This is the last one I made .
that looks sweet!!! hows the short fatty work as oposed to the long tapered chamber??? i find the long slow tapered chamber gives a broad low torquey power band but nothing snappy... i would imagine that short fatty you made would have a real snappy power band where ever you have it tuned !! i mean you got a real nice steep taperd cone on the rear and a long stinger, that shoud bounce the wavw back pretty quick and hard

Last edited:

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
I have been playing with this size pipe for awhile . This pipe pulls well in the mid range and pulls all the way to about 8200 8500 rpm . It starts to get flat after that but will keep going to 9200 rpm if asked to . This bike runs really well for being a piston port engine .

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
I have been playing with this size pipe for awhile . This pipe pulls well in the mid range and pulls all the way to about 8200 8500 rpm . It starts to get flat after that but will keep going to 9200 rpm if asked to . This bike runs really well for being a piston port engine .
so its basicly a short band mid pipe ? that sounds like a good setup for a cruiser bike and a meduim ride pace, you would have pleanty of power and be in your band wile at your cruise speed and heve a powerfull band wile in it !

right now i have a looong x chamber with gradual sloping cones , it gives a realy wide and broad power band from 1/4 throttle up to 3/4 throttle but flattens out at WOT and because its spread out though out the whole rpm range the effect is deminished but still noticalbe .

thanks for the idea though, i think i will have my wifey weld up a new pipe with a shorter but more powerful and sharper band right in the midrange like yours is and see what the results are. its hard to get her to work on stuff like that though she works full time and her welding shcool takes up a lot of time with prodjects and all.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I made one from hydro forming the metal with pressure washer. You just weld two sheets of metal together in the shape you want weld pipe on the end with fitting that fits the pressure washer, you can get the fitting at Ace hardware. You can go on y-tube and see how it done look up hydro forming expansion chamber. I made one and it came out real nice. I'll send some pictures later maybe tomorrow.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
If you look up hydro forming exhaust on you tube it will show how it's done. You basically cut out the form you want with two sheets of metal weld them together with tube welded in one end and hook it to a pressure washer and blow it up. It will expand into the shape you cut out. It really not that hard, it took me about an hour to make. and it sound awesome.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Sounds like a good idea to me... Ron, do you have any pics of your hydroformed pipe? I've been interested in trying this too. I got a TIG welder and pressure washer here at the house so I could build one one of these days when I got nothing else to do.

Basically I understand the whole hydroforming thing but need to find out more on cutting the right shapes in the sheet metal and how thick I can get away with using a 1700 psi washer.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
yes here are the specs for a 66 cc

*****************************/motorbike/torquepipe.html

lol its a banned members site i guess,.... but the pipe works better than anything out there on the market. just cause he is banned does not mean he was stupid !!!! that guy knows how to mod a motor with minimum amounts of money or fancy parts !!!!

dragonfly 75 grubee

type that in google and look on the torque pipe plans there is a lot of realgood info on there !!!!!!!

my fiance made me one just like the one in the pic only out of diamond plate aluminum with a rear stinger 5/8 in ID... the one in the pic has a belly stinger to reduce noise
The Jaguar torque pipe... Yes, that's a very good and proven design, yeah, the guy got banned in here but he does know his stuff, Lots of good reviews on this pipe in the other forums, and the side bleed stinger makes for a really quiet pipe, sometimes no muffler needed, it's that quiet.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
Davevilla I will try to take some pictures later today. I think I used 30 th. sheet metal. You can get the fittings at a hardware store to hook up to the pressure washer. I just took some cardboard and made a template of the way I wanted it to go and the size and traced out. The more you try to curve the pipe you more of a chance of getting kinks in metal.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Sounds cool... yeah.. if you can post a few closeups that would be great.
i might just have to buy some metal and do a few practice runs at this, I've seen it done on youtube a few years back and wanted to try it then but that was also before I had a Tig welder that can weld metal that thin easily.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That turned out really good... I'm gonna have to visit the scrapyard and get me some steel sheet to try this out. The scrapyard in my location has scrap steel but they also stock a lot of new stuff at decent prices.
I really like that routing too, was trying to fit my KTM pipe the same way but would have had to extend the belly about 3 inches longer, but your routing makes for a nice clean install... I like it.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
Thanks Daveville, I think it came out pretty good for the first try as you can see its a real close fit. I might try another one for my trike that I built last year. I'm also working on an electric recumbent trike it just in the mock up stage. It will be a full suspension trike.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I love it ron! It's hideous and beautiful and WAY cooler than any factory made pipe.
Kudos to you for building it yourself!

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
Thanks Mania57, When I was at bonneville last year I saw these two guy from Australia that had a 80cc record holder and I asked about the pipe on the bike, I told them I would like to make one but I didn't have a roller to bend the steel. They said I could Hydro form the steel and as soon as I got home I started working it. To my surprise it worked out pretty good.