Wheel masters with strummer front drum or worksman?

GoldenMotor.com

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Wheel masters with sturmey archer front drum or worksman?

Hey guys, I'm building a BTR tribute bike out of a 1952 roadmaster and trying to beef up the wheels and brakes. I found a local guy who is selling a worksman wheel set with front drum and the fork with it(says it works better with that setup but not sure why). For around the same price, I can get a wheelmaster wheel set from amazon (niagra cycle) and a sturmey archer front drum. I have access to a guy who will swap the front hubs for me if I went the wheelmaster route. What are your thoughts on each of these options? Thanks!

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Personally, I'd go with the worksman wheel and the sturmey hub.
Both brands have proven reputations.

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Personally, I'd go with the worksman wheel and the sturmey hub.
Both brands have proven reputations.
But this would mean I'd go with both, right? The worksman has a front drum on the front already. Are you suggesting I go with the worksman wheels then buy the sturmey hub also or did you mean wheelmaster with the sturmey front hub?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Worksman wheel with sturmey hub.
But not if you have to buy both.
I have heard no bad reports on wheelmaster, but I have heard good reports on worksman and sturmey both.
Depends on price. I'd go for the cheaper option lacking any other deciding factor because I'm cheap

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Re: Wheel masters with Sturmey Archer front drum or worksman?

Worksman wheel with sturmey hub.
But not if you have to buy both.
I have heard no bad reports on wheelmaster, but I have heard good reports on worksman and sturmey both.
Depends on price. I'd go for the cheaper option lacking any other deciding factor because I'm cheap
Here's what I'm facing broken down:
Worksman front and rear wheel (drum brake and fork included) for $200
Or Wheelmaster wheels ($100) plus sturmey archer front drum ($100).

Although I'd love to have the workman, I've heard that they don't have the stopping power as the sturmey archer front drum. Anyone else have experience with either or both?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Worksman makes a good wheel, but the drum brake is not very good. I've had three and a friend had one, and none of them were very good at stopping the bike. The wheelmaster wheel is stout, not nearly as good as the worksman rim which is about as good as it gets, but the finish on the wheelmaster is not very good and starts rusting in short order. Not bad if you intend to paint the rims. The Sturmey archer hub has better stopping power than the Worksman hub. That's my experience with them.
SB
SB