Pipe size

GoldenMotor.com

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Does it really matter the pipe size?
I mean, I get that the outlet is 7/8" and all, but does it matter if it is expanded to say 1", or 1 1/2" ?

In general, this would make it 199% easier to make exhaust parts, and find fittings. Not only that, but it sure would sound nicer (deeper), and I am thinking that as long as I am sending (tuning) the proper waves back up the pipe, it should be ok right?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Experiment, experiment, experiment. There are established rules for pipes and pipe sizes but play with it. You might discover something. I built a glass pack muffler that is on the end of a 3/4" pipe. It's made from 2" automotive exhaust pipe. Sounds great and added a little bit in the mid range.
Show us what you come up with.

Tom

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Depends on your engine type. Is it a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke? I don't think you would have any problems doing that with a 4 stroke but Iam not sure it would work with a 2 stroke as you need some back pressure? Try it and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Depends on if your engine type. Is it a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke? I don't think you would have any problems doing that with a 4 stroke but I don't think it would work with a 2 stroke as you need some back pressure?
That's what I mentioned. I have a 2 stroke.
Back pressure is only going to help during specific RPM's that the exhaust is tuned for. Obviously some is needed, but as long as you are sending waves back up the pipe in tune, it really should not matter the size of the pipe so long as the tune is correct for the RPM's you are aiming for. Ultimately this just comes down to the header length for timing adjustment. You can send waves back with any dimension. However, it's obvious that with a larger pipe, the waves will be larger, weaker, and take longer to travel.

This isn't a sound thing I'm after, even though the resonance will be much deeper, and much more pleasing to the ear, I'm more concerned about the ability to tune properly.

stephanie

Oct 12, 2013
Tallahassee
Hello, my name is stephanie and I am new to this site any ideas where I can find laws regarding building a motorized bike in tallahassee florida? I am also trying to decided what kit to buy for beginners any advice would help. I am a college student and leave in a college student so there is really no need for a car unless going to and from campus.

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Hello, my name is stephanie and I am new to this site any ideas where I can find laws regarding building a motorized bike in tallahassee florida? I am also trying to decided what kit to buy for beginners any advice would help. I am a college student and leave in a college student so there is really no need for a car unless going to and from campus.
http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/other-types.php