36 hole .120 gauge rear coaster brake hub needed

GoldenMotor.com

EarlyRider

Aug 31, 2013
WI
I'm looking for a heavier duty 36 hole coaster brake hub to lace up to my 26" simplex servicycle rim for a custom early motorcycle project. I have a servicycle drum brake rear hub and it's .120 ga spokes and nipples available for trade, but I need a heavy duty .120 ga coaster brake hub & spokes and nipples to lace in that 26" rim because my bike will be pedal start.

Anyone have any ideas on what would be a good heavy duty .120 coaster rear hub option for a bike that will be around 400lb. bike including rider. Max speed will probably be about 50 mph.

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Shimano is the best as far as current coaster hubs, a moped hub would be a little heavier dUty plus a drum brake and the pedal side sprocket. Most however are 135 mm spacing but I'm pretty sure some early roadmaster mopeds had 120 mm spacing.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Try to find a "Durex" hub on ebay. they were used on tandems in the 50-60's and other heavy duty bikes.

If you're really lucky you might find the ones used on early mopeds with a sprocket on both sides.

sachs also made a heavy duty coaster for motorbikes.

You could also look into velosteel hubs. they make new hubs based on the sachs (i think) design with different widths.

Almost any hub can be drilled for larger spokes as long as there's enough room on the flange.

I don't think i'd trust a shimano on a 400lb bike. and honestly, as much as i like coaster brakes, i don't think i'd want one on a bike that heavy...