Ruh Roh......

GoldenMotor.com

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
So, as I was "JRA", I heard a series of popping noises.
After these noises, my exhaust now sounds like a motocross bike.
No performance seems to be hindered or anything, it actually sounds better to me, but I am concerned that something is damaged, too much (or not enough) back pressure, etc.

Has any one else encountered this, or have any ideas on weather this is something to worry about?

Thanks!

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Sounds like classic exhaust-gasket failure (assuming you actually checked that the exhaust nuts are tightened). Coulda blown out the lower-half...you wouldn't see it from the top. Easy diagnosis and easy fix. With your engine cool, start the bike, and put your hand around where the muffler and jug mate; if there's a leak, you'll feel it. If it is a failed gasket, you can easily make a new one out of gasket material from an auto-parts store. In a pinch, you can also use oil-soaked cardboard.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Thick aluminum roasting pans from the dollar store work better than cardboard or manilla for making gaskets.
I'd also look at the inner baffles if you are using the stock pipe. Might be something inside broken off.

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Gasket, and all hardware is sound and snug. I'm no stranger to small engines, or the bikes. This is just something I have never seen before. Thought maybe some one else in here has had a similar exhaust pipe issue. I didn't want to crack the thing open just yet to investigate if I didn't have to, but thanks for the reply.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have to find the cause of any weird stuff on my bikes just because that's how I am.
I don't like weird stuff happening while riding at 30mph on a bicycle!
Maybe you have the muffler with the cat? Could be breaking up inside like cars do...

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
I have to find the cause of any weird stuff on my bikes just because that's how I am.
I don't like weird stuff happening while riding at 30mph on a bicycle!
Maybe you have the muffler with the cat? Could be breaking up inside like cars do...
That's the one I have. So I was thinking something similar.
I am used to wrecking on my bike at speeds of 30 -60 mph. My back round is ex professional down hill racing, and I used to own a hot rod shop out of Detroit. However, wrecking in traffic on pavement at 40mph wearing shorts and a T-shirt I'm not into having happen. I'm a bike snob for sure. Every nut and bolt has to be perfect, wheels must be tru, etc., etc. So I know where you are coming from.

When something comes up that I can't place...... It drives me nuts!!! LOL