High Performance Manual Clutch Engines

GoldenMotor.com

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
Initially I was happy when I finally upgraded from my HT to a 4 stroke HS engine on my motorbike. For once, my handle bars didn't vibrate enough to put my hands to sleep at more than 25 mph.

The one thing that I do miss however is the manual HT clutch. Centrifugal clutches are so boring that even with a balanced 3.5 hp CAG engine, I would almost rather install another HT...

What possibilities are there for high performance MT engines? Do you think that a MT Lifan engine is an option?

Thanks

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
You could try a shift kit.

Shifting three or four times often might be more exciting for you.

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
So I guess that there aren't really any Morini or Lifan motors with manual clutches?

I really enjoy picking my engagement point. It's pretty awesome when you rev the engine and pop the clutch quickly.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
controlling the engine's connection to the wheels with a lever is exciting to me. i also like being able to let the clutch slip a bit so i can use really small gears but still get it going from a dead stop

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
So I guess that there aren't really any Morini or Lifan motors with manual clutches?

I really enjoy picking my engagement point. It's pretty awesome when you rev the engine and pop the clutch quickly.
There are lots of Lifan motors with clutches and multi speed gear boxes.

Big Boy Cycles and Motopeds use 50 cc auto Lifans but you can get them
in all kinds of gear configurations and sizes.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm not aware of ANY four-stroke engine kit for bicycles that has a manual clutch.
If there were such a kit available, I'd be MUCH more likely to park my ring-dinger.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The grubee stage 3 gearbox has a clutch lever of some sort. I believe it is a centrifugal clutch, but with a mechanism elsewhere that engages/disengages the connection to the wheels. There is only one vendor that carries them, but I forget who it is.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The grubee stage 3 gearbox has a clutch lever of some sort. I believe it is a centrifugal clutch, but with a mechanism elsewhere that engages/disengages the connection to the wheels. There is only one vendor that carries them, but I forget who it is.
Bicycle Engines is that vendor and the Stage III doesn't have a manual clutch.
It is a flawed engager that disconnects the centrifugal clutch.
The smart way of dealing with the engager is to permanently
engage it.

I can think of only one 4 stroke kit that had a clutch lever and it
hasn't been made for years.

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
and how many motors have you gone thru?
3 so far. I have a Thatsdax HS50, I had a Thatsdax 70cc HT before I sold it in running condition, and I'm trying to get a GT50R set up (cag motor). Ironically, the HT was my most reliable engine. The only trouble it ever gave me was related to the amount of fuel it got from the tank. The HT was actually the most fun (aside from the vibrations).

Are there any simple ways to mount a MT 4 gear (maybe 90cc) Lifan? I was thinking about a center frame mount with a rear disc mount sprocket.
brnot

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
3 so far. I have a Thatsdax HS50, I had a Thatsdax 70cc HT before I sold it in running condition, and I'm trying to get a GT50R set up (cag motor). Ironically, the HT was my most reliable engine. The only trouble it ever gave me was related to the amount of fuel it got from the tank. The HT was actually the most fun (aside from the vibrations).

Are there any simple ways to mount a MT 4 gear (maybe 90cc) Lifan? I was thinking about a center frame mount with a rear disc mount sprocket.
brnot
Where there's a will.......there's a way, just make it happen. Anything can be accomplished if you set your mind to it......anything!

Just have a look at some of my builds and you'll get what I'm sayin'. Just make it happen, don't be afraid to experiment....

dnut

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
shifting is way more fun that a single speed with clutch. Both on one are even more fun.

Winding out the motor and slamming into the next gear is soooooo muchhhhh FUUUUUUUUUNNNNNN.

CLutch or not, it MUST have a shifter for me.