Sikk 29XL build

GoldenMotor.com

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
My engine kit should be here today. I figured I'd start a thread on this as I haven't seen anyone using this bike. It's a Sikk 29XL. I got one in all flat black. It's also offered with red or green wheels, grips, pedals, stickers and chain guard. Sikk is a local company. They're apparently affiliated with the same guys that make (or made) Sikk minibikes.
http://www.sikkinc.com
I got one in the box, because half the fun is putting it together. It went together fine, with one small issue, but some neat, albeit small, details. First, the steer tube was cranked down tight. I adjusted that for smooth movement. The seat tube is too big, or the seat post is too small. I couldn't get the clamp tight enough without deforming the tube more than I was comfortable with. For now it's shimmed with a piece of construction paper I stole from my kids art table. :) I have in mind a metal shim with a lip (so it doesn't fall into the tube), I just have to implement it.
The struts are bolted to the fenders instead of riveted. There are fender mounts on the dropouts. It also came with plastic "bullets" for the axle nuts and little plastic covers for the kick stand and stem.
The front hub has those serrated washers with the hook so the wheel doesn't fall out if it gets loose, but there's no corresponding hole in the dropout to use it. I kept the washer for the locking capability and just left the hook facing down.

Initial specs:
Steel frame.
Handlebars are 28.5 inches wide.
HJC 700C rims. 14ga spokes. HiStop rear hub. Spokes measure .077", but they're painted.
KMC chain
1.137" seat tube diameter.
11 and 7/8th" from top of chain guard to bottom of top tube.
1.5" down tube diameter.
5.1" steer tube length.
27" top tube length.
With the wheels on, the dropouts measure 100mm(frt) 107mm(rr).

Pics momentarily...

Last edited:

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
I left the house for 30 minutes on Saturday morning and missed Fedex. I got the kit today, but one of the studs for the rear mount isn't drilled in the right spot, and it's drilled at a slight angle. Sigh.
I also have a Sportsman sprocket adapter, seat post shim, KMC 415h chain and two cone wrenches on the way, so it's not like the motor problem is holding me back too much.

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Studs turned out to not be that big of an issue, especially after bolting the whole thing into the frame. I used a Simpson Strong-Tie and 1-1/2" muffler clamp for the front mount. My Sportsman adapter came in today so that's been installed too. The exhaust is an issue. With the stretch frame, it doesn't fit right, unless I don't want to pedal. For now I have the ghetto-ist of all ghetto mods.I cut the exhaust in half and stretched it with a 3/4" piece of heater hose. I probobly won't run it like this and instead will get a Whizzer flexible exhaust and run it under the bottom bracket and have the muffler on the left chain stay. If it wasn't heck on earth out in the garage, I'd be further along.
Next up is remove the rear fender and clearance it for the engine side chain. Maybe tomorrow.

Attachments

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
All done. Rode it around a little bit on Wednesday. It started right up, then proceeded to drop a screw holding the muffler guard on 5 minutes later. The rear fender has been clearanced using the measure 5 times and still end up cutting twice method.
Either the clutch shaft moved over or the cable slipped, as I couldn't fully disengage the clutch at the end of the ~10 minute ride. I inspected, cleaned, polished and lubed the bucking bar and clutch arm cam this morning and didn't see any significant wear there.
Since it's an XL cruiser, the muffler didn't fit. I bought some flex pipe from Memory Lane and extended it for now. I still have enough to move the muffler to one of the dropouts though.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Nice build Andy, Sikk is here in town?
What did that bicycle run you?

On there web side they have a motorized kit version for sale but with an old cheap motor kit but I was totally impressed it had dual V-brakes but yours doesn't, different bike model I guess, I highly recommend you put a front brake on as riding with just a coaster brake is not wise.

Nice engine kit choice, 2012 Skyhawk with the new CNS carbs and ya, they start right up every time. Why did you mount it so high in the frame?

I just pull that EPA required yet useless muffler heat guard off and there are a couple of tricks to getting a stock pipe to fit past the motor mount bracket, I call it 'reamy reamy' but in short you just elongate the muffler bolt hole so you can twist it some.

Nice start fellow Zonie, there are a few of us builders in the Phoenix metro area.

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
lookin' good Andy :)
I like how you extended the tank studs with the coupler nut/bolt combo !!! (^)
Thanks. I wanted to keep it clean. I measured depth, then used locktight and double-nutted them so they'll stay in place.
Thanks again for the clutch shaft and other parts. They cleaned up nice.

Nice build Andy, Sikk is here in town?
What did that bicycle run you?

On there web side they have a motorized kit version for sale but with an old cheap motor kit but I was totally impressed it had dual V-brakes but yours doesn't, different bike model I guess, I highly recommend you put a front brake on as riding with just a coaster brake is not wise.

Nice engine kit choice, 2012 Skyhawk with the new CNS carbs and ya, they start right up every time. Why did you mount it so high in the frame?

I just pull that EPA required yet useless muffler heat guard off and there are a couple of tricks to getting a stock pipe to fit past the motor mount bracket, I call it 'reamy reamy' but in short you just elongate the muffler bolt hole so you can twist it some.

Nice start fellow Zonie, there are a few of us builders in the Phoenix metro area.
The bike was $195. I was going to go for the kit he has, but I like the look of the 29er wheels/tires. Sikk has a storefront at E. University and S. McClintock. His house is out here in Mesa and he sells bikes from there too.
The items included on the motorized kit bike are impressive, but he didn't have any at the time and like I said, I like the bigger wheels. :)
I'm not sure if he'd sell the bike separately, as I think it comes out of the box with the tank and sprocket adapter installed.
I will be putting a front caliper brake on, most likely the Odyssey 1999, as that seems to be the only one available with the longest reach (about 105mm on this bike). Or I might get a drum brake hub. It doesn't look like it, but I spent way more than I should have on this bike, so I need to let the ol' bank account recover. Right now I'm going to break it in, keep adding Loc-tite to the screws that fall off, then work on carb tuning. Speaking of which, I had to safety wire the carb to the head because the carb keeps vibrating off the intake. I'm starting to strip the screw from trying to tighten it and will probably replace it with a hex head bolt and nylock nut intead.
The engine location kind of fell into place. Mostly due to the bend of the front mount. I have another strong tie and may make a shorter one (or a Z bend instead) to get it closer to the chain guard. If I do that, I might be able to take another link out of the chain and get rid of the kit tensioner too. I was like 1mm short with its current position.
There's no way the stock exhaust is fitting around the downtube. It literally is right next to it. It might if I lower the engine, but I still want to try and run a rear exhaust, so it was no biggie to cut it for now. I need new hacksaw blades though. :)

CARider

May 20, 2013
San Rafael, CA-Mesa, AZ
Hello AZ Friends!
When I was in Mesa (Which I miss so much!) I checked his warehouse out. Very cool bikes. He sells one bike made for the 2 stroke engines. He did not have them in stock when I came, but he had the engines so I stocked up. Very friendly owner with good products.
.wee.

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Built a work stand over the last couple days. Clamp bar is 60" off the ground. Also starting installing a front brake. I read that the Odyssey 1999 has the longest reach. Well, it doesn't. I'm about 5-8mm too short. Just as bad though is the long bolt that it comes with it doesn't work either. The short side that holds the whole thing together is 5mm shorter than the short bolt. Meaning, the locknut doesn't fit.
However, my youngest daughter's cheapie Wally World BMX bike's caliper does fit. And the long bolt that came with the Odyssey works with it. So the Odyssey went on her bike and the no-name on mine. I even managed to keep the fender.
I need to mount the handle and get the cable cut.