4 stroke build

GoldenMotor.com

Scottlocks

Apr 18, 2013
Boston
No idea where to put this, but im guessing here. Im looking at getting a kit from Bike Berry, the "Flying Horse 5G 4 stoke" kit. *Link*

what are your thoughts on this?
Could it haul a 220 Pound person?
How stressful is it on the spokes, i would be mounting it on a Fuji Sunfire(5+ years old)?

Scottlocks

Apr 18, 2013
Boston
I got a 19 inch frame, sure i can fit a little bit in it. How the belt drive is the transmission, why add one more peice to it? more simple for me is better, not much needed, just something to get me 4 miles to work up a few hills and back quickly. I know i can do it, just will the spokes keep up? thats my main concern.

Last edited:

Scottlocks

Apr 18, 2013
Boston
Ahh so it would be a bit smoother than. What about the spokes on the kits? do they damage them badly? or should i not even worry about it?

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
Smoother and more reliable. I would recommend using 12g spokes. The kit rag joints have been known to brake spokes if not properly assembled. There are also a few adapters out there that either clamp around the hub or use disc brake mounts. If you have any questions, either ask or use the google custom search at the top of the page (very handy).

Scottlocks

Apr 18, 2013
Boston
Where can i get one of these disk break mounts, i would feel lots more conferrable with
that, im sure my mom would too(She basicly say its my money, do what i want). I just dont want to break much, sorta kinda need it to last a little bit too(thus why the 4 stroke).

Is there a kit that would take over the pedals and turn it to 100% gas? would not mind that at all.... the route i take passes by a few gas stations.

I know with the spoke kit, im bound to mess something up badly.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
For disc mount look here at the "top hat" http://www.kingssalesandservice.com/ Others have modified the sprocket to work without this mount. You have to have disc brake hub for this to work. If you want 100% gas w/ no pedals, get a scooter like a ruckus. You will find it a lot better to have pedals. These engines are not known for "off the line" speed. If you get the belt drive kit above (4G) you can get a shift kit at sickbikeparts.com and make use of the gears you have on the rear wheel (assuming you have them). The shift kit would eliminate the use of a sprocket and adapter. Check local laws though. In MI, they are illegal.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I got a 19 inch frame, sure i can fit a little bit in it. How the belt drive is the transmission, why add one more peice to it? more simple for me is better, .
The 4G reduction is not being added, it is a much better option than
the BikeBerry cheap chain drive transmission that comes with that kit.

You have to use a 4G or a Chain drive or a EZM Q Matic box.

The Bikeberry add hides the chain drive transmission so it isn't in the kit
pic because it has a well deserved bad reputation.
There is a pic if you scroll.

This is the best kit and a great deal at $330 http://www.bicycle-engines.com/49cc-4G-T-Belt-Drive-Complete-Gas-Powered-Engine-Kit.html

Last edited:

Scottlocks

Apr 18, 2013
Boston
For disc mount look here at the "top hat" http://www.kingssalesandservice.com/ Others have modified the sprocket to work without this mount. You have to have disc brake hub for this to work. If you want 100% gas w/ no pedals, get a scooter like a ruckus. You will find it a lot better to have pedals. These engines are not known for "off the line" speed. If you get the belt drive kit above (4G) you can get a shift kit at sickbikeparts.com and make use of the gears you have on the rear wheel (assuming you have them). The shift kit would eliminate the use of a sprocket and adapter. Check local laws though. In MI, they are illegal.
As it stands now, i dont have the disk mount in the rear(only the front). Ive already ruled out the scooter(i much rather have the pedals as you said). So quickly ruling that one out(sorry!)

Now for the 2nd thing, SickBikeParts.com with the shiftkit, that is what i was attempting to describe, that would allow me to pedal still and use the engine.

By that point though im getting up there in price...... Im trying to stay under 500$(Not happening i can tell already). IF i do go the route of the shift kit, that would basically last me a life time if i take care of it with a 4 stroke engine correct? enough to take place of a scooter(my mom wants me to get one, i want something a bit quicker and not as well..... Scooterish)?

Scottlocks

Apr 18, 2013
Boston
Soo there goes 500$, Im going to do it in a few weeks hopefully with the shifter kit, need a few more paychecks under my belt before i just dump money in to it( Family for me is more "You want it, WORK FOR IT").

Parts List:
http://www.bicycle-engines.com/49cc-4G-T-Belt-Drive-Complete-Gas-Powered-Engine-Kit.html for the engine and Belt Drive

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ucts_id=110&osCsid=uukra9rsbbjkfi52qfvjcpjfs3 for the shift kit and such.

With the shiftkit, what does it mean by the "bottom bracket adaptors"

Scottlocks

Apr 18, 2013
Boston
Im looking in to everything, mom thinks i should just go with a scooter, but then sees what im saying(quicker AND legal). anything 50cc+ needs to be registered with MA, and requires a special license. the 50cc that im thinking of should not need anything.

Scottlocks

Apr 18, 2013
Boston
yeah, it needs to be automatic for it to be "legal". As long as i dont go crazy with it, i should be fine. Though it might not be the smartest idea to ride past the police station with it.... although im sure the cops in my town would be more than willing to let me go with it(Most of them come in to the store i work at, they love projects like this.).

I know someone who rides a dirt bike to work, and puts it in the back, rides the same route as me.

Scottlocks

Apr 18, 2013
Boston
Is there anyway to cut down the cost on the engine kit? I dont think i need two crank assemblies........ or two gear and sprockets.... Im not to much of a gear head. Im a programmer, not all to good with engines and such.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What bike are you going to use? (pics please)

I have built over 40 shifters with the sick bike kits and if you are not mechanically included you are better off going direct drive as a shift kit is not for the faint of heart to do right.

As mentioned in a previous post forget the 5G, it's a dual chain monster wide transfer case that sucks, forget a Stage III as well, the 4G however has been reliable and if you want to tackle the mechanics of mounting a shift kit they do make for a pretty sweet ride.

Again, builds like these are not for first timers, even with as many 2 and 4 stroke shifters as I have built it takes 30 some man hours, special tools, etc.
They are not cheap either, every one of those builds was $1,000 give or take $150 depending what needed doing and bike price.

For just a 4 mile commute you should be fine with a 4-stroke direct drive like this poor example of my work in my book as I didn't paint the tensioner or red plastic motor cover but you get the idea.

I get my kits from gasbike.net.
http://www.gasbike.net/bike-motor-kit-grubee-2011-skyhawk-4-g-t-belt-v.html

Under $400 delivered.

Scottlocks

Apr 18, 2013
Boston
I do want to get my hands dirty a bit, and for how often i ride the bike now, i'm not all to worried about wreaking the thing(though i do want something that will last). I will post pictures of the bike when i get home(though i'm still waiting a few weeks to build it as i need to get some money in the bank first).

This is more of a scooter replacement, it will be a tight fit(very tight), but it should fit. I was planning on the 4G kit, what do i exactly need? it would be wasteful to grab the whole kit just to use everything but the cranks and such. trying to cut cost as much as i can too(will need to get a car at some point too, this would be a summer ride).

I will post pictures when i get home, im at school currently.