The Onyx 29" build

GoldenMotor.com

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Donor bikes can be found at wal-mart The genesis series "Onyx" and "Two-Nine"

Hey guys I finally got some things going on my bike. I've taken the front end from the mountain bike version of the 29" and it fits good but I'm running into a problem with reinstalling my front fender. I don't wanna turn my bike into a $600 catapult so if anyone can help me out with an Idea here I'd appreciate it.

basically the problem involves two supporting rods that initially connected right next to the hub, the picture of the extra holes below.

Well, my new shock system doesnt really have a hole for the supports so what should I do? Any ideas would be appreciated. the top mount is solid, there was a setup for "v-brakes" So I was able to just screw that one into place.

Last edited:

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I'm done for the day, front end installed with only minor complications. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to mount the supports, but it's a start.

Last edited:

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I have the same front-end and used zip-strips to secure my fender-rods to the disk-brake caliper and the base of the shock on the right. They're not meant to be load-bearing as much as being stiffeners and height/tilt adjusters. I'll post some close-up pics tomorrow.

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
I'll be following this as I will be doing the exact same thing this weekend. I took my Onex completly apart, cleaned all the tapping/threading chips from the bearings and reinstalled with good USA made grease :) No fenders or chainguard on mine.....For now anyway.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
The little tabs that hold the axel from falling out,weld some extentions on them with holes in to mount the brases on.................Curt

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Runner,

This bike without fenders would wreck the purpose of the bike, as a mode of transportation. You'll notice that in countries that have bikes as a main form of transportation there is a common thread and that is fenders, the reason, rain. sorry, but I really need a bike that wont soak me after running through puddles.

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
Runner,

This bike without fenders would wreck the purpose of the bike, as a mode of transportation. You'll notice that in countries that have bikes as a main form of transportation there is a common thread and that is fenders, the reason, rain. sorry, but I really need a bike that wont soak me after running through puddles.
I agree. Those big wheels do sling a lot of mud and water. For now, while I'm working on mine, the cool factor of the stipped down look is it for me!!!

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Front end completed!!!

Hey guys I'm back with another update my front end has been finished up! Initially the front end fender for the onyx-29 was incompatible with the genesis-29-MTN bike but with a few simple modifications and a trip to Autozone, I worked around the problem with minimal tools.

the first and most important change I did was to the fenders disc brake side support I had to bend it a little to be more congruent with the frame. but besides the little bend, the rod fit perfectly through the disc brake "stock." I actually only bent it to be prettier. this task was accomplished by hitting it with a hammer on top of a ball hitch you can find on almost any truck.

After installing the fender and mocking everything up I realized I would need something to bind the fenders in place. The suggestions to use twist ties and welding a bracket were noted but I decided to go with 16 gauge wire as my binder, but using this required a special kind of union to work. I went to autozone and found this.

these unions were used in this fashion

Using the holes from some sort of support I removed from the end of the forks i ended up with this.

These brakes are so bad as pictured I had to re-grind mine with sandpaper to get them to work right! Check out this great "DIY" brake squeal fix.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Silence-That-Squeaky-Disc-Brake-2011.html
So now the front fenders are secured. and my next task is breaking down the engine and painting it. laters!

Last edited:

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
I just went to both local Walmarts and couldn't find the Genesis 29" mountain bike with the black rims, etc. I guess they also come in red with silver trim. What I DID find is a 29" Mongoose with rear disk brakes and a black front fork. It's the same price. I'm going to check it out again today and might make that one my "donor" bike.

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
the walmart 29's come in red, green, and blue. all the bikes have the same colored rims (black) you just have to take off the stickers. The two-nines rims are flat black compared to the onyx's gloss black. I don't see any reason to complain though. Everything meshed faily well.

Here is a link to the exact donor bike I used.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/20970499?...1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem
I looked at several other bikes but went with the one in your link. I want to run a 3 gear deraileur with my setup so I hope I can make the rear hub/gears narrow enough to fit in the frame. I also want to run the handlebar clamp from the Mt Bike. I mated the fork up to the frame using all the various spacers from both bikes. I can't find any cruiser bars that have the 1 1/2" diameter at the clamp though. The stock Onex bars are 1" so the hand controls don't fit. Tomorrow, I'll tackle the rear wheel fitting and tire swapping.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
What is a mag cover and why/how should I seal it? If you can post a link it would be helpful thanks.
The cover on the left side of the engine where the wires from the ignition box enter the engine. Seal this cover and wires to keep water out of the coil. The coil is what generates voltage to provide spark. If this coil gets wet, it shorts. A shorted coil means no spark. No spark, no run.
I've seen bikes with the cover half full of water when brought to me for repair work.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Hey guys I'm well into my build and I don't have enough energy right now to post the play by play (exactly how i modified certain things at home) for ya, but it will be coming. As for now here are some teaser shots of what she looks like.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I will say that I'm really mad at 2 people. One is me, for trying to monkey in a piston ring and breaking it. another two sets are in the mail. the other people I'm mad at is those guys at pirate cycles. they are impossible to get a hold of. If they would have mentioned a 2 week wait when i was checking out online I would have gone with another sprocket, seriously though. I ordered the sprocket before the engine. and now I've fab'd and modified the entire kit in place and I'm waiting on the first thing I ordered...

I'm very angry with pirate cycles

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
Looking good!! I think the fenders on the suspension fork looks great. I actually destroyed my front fender when I had to take the bike off the top rack at Walmart...............All by myself.

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
I will say that I'm really mad at 2 people. One is me, for trying to monkey in a piston ring and breaking it. another two sets are in the mail. the other people I'm mad at is those guys at pirate cycles. they are impossible to get a hold of. If they would have mentioned a 2 week wait when i was checking out online I would have gone with another sprocket, seriously though. I ordered the sprocket before the engine. and now I've fab'd and modified the entire kit in place and I'm waiting on the first thing I ordered...

I'm very angry with pirate cycles
I agree with you about pirate cycles!!
Your build looks good!!