My own magneto project

GoldenMotor.com

Celcius1

Feb 11, 2013
Adelaide, South Australia
I just installed a 48cc kit on my bike but I want to run some decent lights, but don't want the trouble of recharging my battery.

So I looked at winding my own magneto for the engine, I used to do work in a motor winding place so know the principles. But found that standard wiring is impractical, I once tested a winding method of winding the coils in parallel all at once. Tests were promising

So my plan is to buy a magneto remove the existing coil but of course check the ohms. Then wind my new coils

The coils will consist of 4 parallel wound coils of 4 different wire sizes, but not identical windings, the goal is to get a fairly continuous voltage across the three but with different current handling characteristics. So if more current is needed I just hook in an extra coil. But being different wire sizes, you generally select the wire you need for the application required. But you ask why 4 windings, and why all different. Pure and simple a properly fitted electric system requires different voltages all over the place when these are fed into different regulators you get the required smooth voltages and the current required with out overtaxing the coil.

Any suggestions on how to make the hand winder to make life easy will be greatly appreciated

The 4 wire sizes being used are as follows 0.25mm, 0.315mm, 0.5mm, 0.63mm

So now until the parts arrive I wont be able to proceed further, but would love input on how to build a hand cranked winder to make life a tad bit easier.

Celcius1