What do you think of this spark plug as a replacement plug?

GoldenMotor.com

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
I replaced my stock spark plug with a Champion J8C spark plug that I got from tractor supply company. Is this okay to use? The engine seems to run pretty good on it..it's really hard to tell..so basically has anyone else used this plug on either the 48 or 66cc 2-stroke kits? Let me know! Thanks. The heat range of the plug seems to be 8. My stock plug is an LD Z4C(no idea what the heat range is). Tell me what you think.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've use the Champion L82C (811) successfully. I'm not sure how it compares with the plug you have. It had the same reach and heat range as the venerable NGK 6 plug and seemed to perform just as well. I compared them and couldn't tell any difference in performance.

Tom

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
Thanks for the opinion! It seems to run okay with it in there, but I haven't really FULLY tested it yet. But seems to run okay. I run my engine rich :) between 6-7 oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas.. My friend Lynn runs hers 16:1(8 oz to 1 gallon) all the way through. Smokes a bit but not excessive I'm going to by some smokeless synthetic 2 stroke oil.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You really need to back off on the oil. Your engine will perform much better if you do. 24:1 is about maximum and 32:1 is even better.
Read and take the oil manufacturer's suggestions if you go to a synthetic. They will run anywhere from 50 all the way to 100:1 depending on the brand.

Excess oil does not protect your engine but in fact will cause spark plug fouling as well as carbon build-up on the piston/rings and combustion chamber. It will also plug up the exhaust especially if you have a catalytic converter style muffler.

Tom

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
I've run 32:1 and maintained the motor well and it ended up seizing...but it wasn't mine the entire time it was owned a year by someone else before me I purchased it on a bike in non running condition the guy also bought it from kingsmotorbikes ha..go figure.(needed a head gasket and some other TLC)(I've built many of these bikes) and since that happened that one time and they're made so cheaply I don't take chances anymore. Alot of other people I know run the same mixture I do, as for fouling..I am aware of those things. I can try 24:1, I was planning on buying some synthetic oil. I've used "Weed Eater brand, Briggs and Stratton, there was another brand too but I forget what it is now)