hf 79cc vertical mount

GoldenMotor.com

rhodeisland

Oct 30, 2012
Rhode Island
I am in the middle of putting in a drop loop in my INB frame and was wondering if anybody has had success mounting a hf 79 not a hf99.

My concern is lubrication and longterm durability because I could not find these answers on this sight from anybody with first hand experience.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Are you talking about the 79cc predator?
Because the 99 and 79cc predator engines are Almost the same. It's just the 79cc has smaller bore and stroke.

If you read trough CulverCityClassics thread
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44022

It shows that you can run it vertically, you just got run the right amount of oil for it to lubricate properly.

Last edited:

rhodeisland

Oct 30, 2012
Rhode Island
Yes i am talking about the 79 predator.
I did notice that this engine doesn't have a oil cut out switch and that the camshaft gear seems to dip into the oil level to splash the oil.
I just cannot confirm with anybody that has done this them self and with success.

rhodeisland

Oct 30, 2012
Rhode Island
Yesterday I removed the Governor from the engine and drilled and tapped an new oil fill in the side cover while I had it off.
This 79cc engine seams to be different from the other ones I have read about on this site because it doesn't have a oil cutout switch and the cam shaft is steel.
sorry no pics.
Next week I shoud have the down tube back from the bender and Start the frame mods.

rhodeisland

Oct 30, 2012
Rhode Island
Like I saw in some other blog on this sight I drilled out the hole indentation on the side cover opposite the oil fill and tapped it with a cheap 1/2" pipe tap that I bought at Harbor Freight.

rhodeisland

Oct 30, 2012
Rhode Island
I had the frame/welded and I dry fit the engine/tranny and tonight I tore it down for some pick up welding so the frame got some strip sanding for paint.

This week end I will start on the fuel tank and lock tite up the engine and tranny sprocket on the jackshaft kit from agk.

Sorry no picks yet but I'll bring the camera to shop next time.

I would be finished but we lost a month of weekends here with unexpected things and two weekends of dam snow.Can't wait till spring.

rhodeisland

Oct 30, 2012
Rhode Island
I put the bike back together after the pick up welding so I could get the exhaust on.
Tomorrow the carb will get hooked up after the forward facing manifold gets welded.

Attachments

rhodeisland

Oct 30, 2012
Rhode Island
I guess I would have to ad some material to either side of the jackshaft plate where the plate mounts to the engine and mill new mounting holes.

Do you believe that the 2.5 hp engine will tweak this plate at this degree of angle and or could it be reinforced with stringers.
It is easier for me to have welding done than machine work.

rhodeisland

Oct 30, 2012
Rhode Island
From what I see is that the plate will have to be rotated somewhere around 45 degrees and that will put two of the mounting holes outside of the jackshaft plate.so next time the welder is at the shop I'll see what he thinks or see if a different plat can be sourced.

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
From what I see is that the plate will have to be rotated somewhere around 45 degrees and that will put two of the mounting holes outside of the jackshaft plate.so next time the welder is at the shop I'll see what he thinks or see if a different plat can be sourced.
Just mount it 80 degrees down from where it is with the existing holes......they are slotted.

rhodeisland

Oct 30, 2012
Rhode Island
Thats the first thing I tried but the output sprocket hit the crank tube.
I looked at it tonight and there seams to be enough material on the plate to make it fit.
Thanks for everyones input itis appreciated.

rhodeisland

Oct 30, 2012
Rhode Island
Heres the tank mock-up that the tinsmith is going to use to make templates.
It is going to be made with copper soldered and their only concern was that gasoline can have a tendency to attack solder so I'll probably Creme the tank for a barrier.

Attachments

rhodeisland

Oct 30, 2012
Rhode Island
I hung the carb today now that the intake is welded.
Getting real close to break down and paint when I get a break next week.
Still have not gotten any cooperation from Worksman on getting the correct fenders that were ordered with the bike the sent the plastic ones twice.

Attachments