Trial and error

GoldenMotor.com

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I have a Scat Kat Kitten scooter about the size of a Doodlebug I decided to stick a surplus 5-1/2 HP sloper OHV in I took from my 3-speed Monarch when I stuck a similiar 6-1/2 HP HFT engine in it. It had a cast iron pulley with a frozen setscrew on the shaft. I tried to drill it out with a carbide drill, but ended up grinding it to remove, only to find it a 3/4" shaft and the centrifugal clutch 5/8". Then I got a brillient idea I would put the clutch on the lawnmower jackshaft. Luckily, I realized I had to drive the hole, not the vee. Then I found the OHV head was in the same space I needed for the jackshaft. Back to my origional 2HP Lawson I started to use once upon a time. I had to make a sleeve for the 1/2" shaft and mill a 3/16" groove in it for keystock and mill part of it to fit into the 1/8" slot on the shaft. The rear hub is one I made from ally with a drum on one side for an external band brake. I think I will use a backward piece of vee belt and a foot peddle where the footrest stud is. A 10" OD wheel doesn't require much brake. The other side footpeg is snapped off flush. I am 6 ft tall so need more foot room anyhow so will bolt a Doodlebug-type floorboard underneath with the motor bolts. A 36 tooth peddle sprocket is bolted to the drum It will use a #41 chain. The mower jackshaft has a #41 11 tooth sprocket. In drilling stuff on the drillpress, decided to recommend my system to you. I have a foot microswitch and a reversing toggle which allows me to have a hand on the work as I start it, and I can run taps in and out with the reversing switch. It is a very safe system. In a machine shop, most accidents are due to drillpress usage. My next move is to locate a recoil starter on an old lawnmower I can put on the Lawson. I am sick of many years of using pull ropes on open drums. Besides that, I won;t have to worry about my pants leg. I hope after I finish this toy, I will get back to wiring my Lotus 7 scratch build. I have about run out of copouts to keep from adressing that problem.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Like to see pics of what your working on.

Here is what I was going to buy before I found that my recoil parts just needed lubrication to sink in. It took a few days and now it does not stick. Also over run recoil clutch should not happen as pawl clutch new at Yard Birds I got for about I think 15 - 20 bucks. Don't you hate it when the cord spits back out at you and the flywheel soft aluminum key shears off!

The Lawson 2hp not sure if Ebay has, but I got a used air filter housing that was in good shape for cheap!

I know the picture shows that the cord handle is not snug back in housing, but that probably just needs a turn or two more on the spring. It looks also that it has been scratched on the cover. Ehhh if it works, can sand and repaint it.

MT

scratg

Attachments

Last edited:

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
Re: Trial and error An air cleaner idea

Like to see pics of what your working on.

Here is what I was going to buy before I found that my recoil parts just needed lubrication to sink in. It took a few days and now it does not stick. Also over run recoil clutch should not happen as pawl clutch new at Yard Birds I got for about I think 15 - 20 bucks. Don't you hate it when the cord spits back out at you and the flywheel soft aluminum key shears off!

The Lawson 2hp not sure if Ebay has, but I got a used air filter housing that was in good shape for cheap!

I know the picture shows that the cord handle is not snug back in housing, but that probably just needs a turn or two more on the spring. It looks also that it has been scratched on the cover. Ehhh if it works, can sand and repaint it.

MT

I need an offset air cleaner to clear the jackshaft sprocket,. I think a saddle soap or large shoewax tin with an oil soaked air cleaner foam in it should be OK.

scratg

I need an offset air cleaner to clear the jackshaft sprocket,. I think a saddle soap or large shoewax tin with an oil soaked air cleaner foam in it should be OK.