60s Space Flyer aka the UFO

GoldenMotor.com

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
So this is an early 60s Colombia. The theme is something like someone described as "The Jetsons" inspired. So this is the thread to follow the build. Also gotta Felt Surf City, not planning on motorizing it right away. (maybe later this year?!?!?)

Anyway, here are some shots it's in the paint shop now (my patio).

UFO1 (213x159).jpg
UFO3 (1024x768).jpg
UFO2 (1024x768).jpg

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
Havent put the finishing touches on the body paint yet. And the fenders aren't as shiny as they are supposed to be. Havent gotten to the waxing and such w/family in town. But i'm going to try and squeeze a li'l more work in here soon.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Looking good maybe with the family in town it will give you the time necessary to let the paint cure, so far,looking good!!

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
Thanks man. I'll post some more photos later. I cant wait to put it all together. How about those glaze top coats? Are they worth it? I'd like to top coat the darker metallic however the lighter one looks good raw..

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I'm like n it the way it is, now paint the under side of the fenders a different color all together, orange,neon green,red whatever you like then as the bike developes use the color that you've painted the underside of the fenders to accent other parts but remember ACCENT! little here little there.
Also remember to straighten out some of the metal work when necessary before you paint because if you do after it's painted you'll take the chance of cracking the paint.

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Do the under side of the fenders first, if you don't like it you can always change it, but do some sanding and cleaning first (under fenders)

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
cool idea. The bronze kinda dulled out a bit after it dried. Any reason you think that might be? not enough sanding?? or does it need to be sealed?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Color sand it lightly! then find some automivte clear coat but!( at Auto Zone/Pep Boys ) test it on something to make sure that it's compatible with the paint, that is if you haven't already waxed the paint, check out my thread "Blood Thursty" to see the results of my painted engine(last page)