best motor application on the tight worksman frame

GoldenMotor.com

HollywoodHooligan

Apr 15, 2012
Los Angeles
I am shopping arround for my next motor my quetion is which motor would be the easiest to mount on the tight fit worksman frame I would like to get as much power as possible but am limited to the amount of fabrication I can do as I do not own a welder and live in a small apartment.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I think all the china motors fit the same. A close friend made a motor adapter to place the motor in the right angle, the only draw back was the spark plug was hard to get out. I may be able to help you out if needed.

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
There should be plenty of automotive shops in your area which could bend and weld for you st a nominal price. And then you could lengthen the wheelbase, and enlarge the down tube loop, thus giving you room for a predator motor....

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
HH, have a look at the thread "Worksman/EZM stretch". I go ahold of a 1952 girls schwinn and cut out the curved down section of the bike. Lenghtend the Worksman about 4" and inserted the section of the schwinn. It allowed me to install a 4-stroke EZM set up pretty easily. Silverbear did the same thing last year. He took the schwinn cutout to a welder and told him what he wanted to do and got it done rather inexpensively if I remember correctly. I got my old schwinn for $30, plus I was able to use the nice old chainguard and fenders which look great (I think). Ring up Silverbear, he'll have something to say about it. Good luck, Dan

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
Just about to finish a worksman build . Yes the china girl fits well with the angle plug head turned . You need a 36 tooth crank sprocket to clear the motor . Lots of room . The Grubee fits the 1 inch frame better than the Jet motors . Dan

Attachments

HollywoodHooligan

Apr 15, 2012
Los Angeles
Just about to finish a worksman build . Yes the china girl fits well with the angle plug head turned . You need a 36 tooth crank sprocket to clear the motor . Lots of room . The Grubee fits the 1 inch frame better than the Jet motors . Dan
that is a clean looking motor! is that a grubee?

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
that iis a nice lookin bike! what kind of fabricating did you do? did you make the tank?
The tank came from Sportsman Flyer . It wouldn't fit my frame , my frame was built wrong . There was no fabricating to install motor if you use a Grubee . My is a Jet motor it fits larger tube frame , made a spacer for rear mount and welded tabs on for front mount . Dan

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I fitted a China motor to a worksman frame & had quite a bit of messing around. The motor mounts are at the wrong angle & there's not a lotta room for the motor itself.
I had to put in shims to make up for the incorrect angle of the engine mounts. These then later fell out so I had to silicone them in.
The frame is a thinner diameter than the 1" grubee mounts too, so it's sloppy until you put in the shims.
A China motor will be okay if you don't mind heaps of messing about to get it mounted well.

Attachments

HollywoodHooligan

Apr 15, 2012
Los Angeles
I fitted a China motor to a worksman frame & had quite a bit of messing around. The motor mounts are at the wrong angle & there's not a lotta room for the motor itself.
I had to put in shims to make up for the incorrect angle of the engine mounts. These then later fell out so I had to silicone them in.
The frame is a thinner diameter than the 1" grubee mounts too, so it's sloppy until you put in the shims.
A China motor will be okay if you don't mind heaps of messing about to get it mounted well.
wow that is a great looking bike! I plan on welding the motoe in or having someone wed monts of some sort in for me

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
wow that is a great looking bike! I plan on welding the motoe in or having someone wed monts of some sort in for me
then I think you would need to get the frame downtube extended & given a loop/curve, to give some space for the mounts, as I don't see how welded mounts would fit with the standard frame. There aint a lotta space in there
I was gonna get that kind of frame from Pat at Sportsman Flyer but it took too long as he was busy with the 200cc frames (& has a dayjob) so I gave up waiting.
If you really want power then I guess you could just get him to do you a 200cc frame. I dunno what the current waiting time is.

Last edited:

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
If you're not too far from Venice Beach then talk to Norm at Venice Motor Bikes, he may be able to do something for you with supplying a motor, & with mounts, he's an absolutely great guy to deal with; I bought my wheelset from him