CDI woes...

GoldenMotor.com

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
So I've now burned up two CDI's. Both have been with my new dax motor also. What could be the problem, I really don't wanna put this next one on and it be the same story. The first one was one used for a grubee gt5, once I used it with the new F80 dax engine, it started backfiring and burned up fast. My last one lasted for about 35 miles, 3 days of use and it's now fried. It will spark once if left sitting for awhile but that's it. I have the white wire taped up so it won't short. I pulled my kill switch, but I did ride around with it for awhile and it never worked from day one.

I would like to either buy something that's going to last way longer than 3 days, or find the issue. I could possible build one but not to sure about my circuitry skills... the jags are out of stock, but I wanna know it's gonna run for like years before I dish $80. The "e50" puch cdi high rpm box on treat land seems to be a good choice, but will it hurt anything if it's not? Thanks, I hope someday we can get the Cdi's we deserve lol.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I'm on my third CDI and so far it seems to be good. I believe that a combination of bad gas mixtures and a spark plug gap that was too large contributed to the loss of the first two CDI's. Now I'm running quality 2-stoke racing motorcycle oil and a small gap on an NGK plug. That might be your fix.

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
I just did a new mix yesterday with some 50:1 oil. I could actually tell when the new stuff started to be burned, it ran smoother and a little faster. My first mix was some 40:1 oil mix to 20:1. I also gaped both my plugs ones a little bigger than the other.

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
Installed the new CDI, backfired and had a hard time starting but it did. So should I be switching out the magneto out next?

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
I see you posted in my thread about the treatland CDI. Besides the chinese spark plug boot I pulled off my HT CDI cracking in half, the ignition has been solid as a rock. I'm going to try and do some back to back comparisons once I get my RT jets in, but to really get the most out of this ignition, a variable timing magnet from piston bikes would be required. I think that running the timer off the white wire may be retarding my ignition slightly.

Definitly revs nice and high though!