first time for this backwards top end

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Here is what I've been up to decided to try something a little different
so here is what came out of the box

bike that the pipe and aircleaner is going to go on to. notice the aircleaner has a Velocity stack

Here is how it came out a little backwards

painted

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Re: different way to mount a tuned pipe

some pictures of the carb I got it all backwards the pipe is black but I didn't get a picture of it somehow only the muffler is chrome now it runs good but not as good as it did before the changes. I need to go back and open up the transfer ports as I wasn't sure it would run with the cylinder on backwards but it does so I'll fix the ports later I've got other thing I need to do now. That intake manifold was a pain to make stainless steel is hard to gas weld.
So how you guys like the backwards bike?

missing pictures of the pipe painted and on the bike rear view pipe tucked in nice and close

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I like it (^) It sure would give me the clearence I need to fit a better air cleaner.

rotfl I can just see someone giving that bike the double look going down the road rotfl

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA

Very innovative....definitely good thinking out of the box....I wonder why it doesn't work as well with the cylinder head "backwards"?

Andrew

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas

Wow Norm, that looks cool. But I think you shoulda turned the whole engine backwards in the frame then chain the engine to the crank chain ring and run the engine backwards........................:D:D

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

the transfer ports off of the crankcase are covered up a little by the cylinder and I need to go back and match them up I didn't want to do that until I was sure it would run this way. So now that I know it will I'll take it apart and do the grinding to get them to match. I still don't like the intake and may make another one and not use stainless steel what a pain that stuff is to gas weld with out the proper equipment.
I've found that the bike is super quiet all I hear is the intake and with the big filter its a little quieter than than the stock one I think.
I think the cool factor went up a notch and as far as I know no one else has tried this. if a guy wants to do the ram effect all are looking for it is possible with the carb facing forwards. I'll be happy and run a filter I don't need a rock going inside the engine and doing some custom polishing and porting of the cylinder and piston. rotfl

Norman

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

I'm wondering if there will a cooling problem with the hottest part of the cylinder not being in front of the airflow anymore?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

I'm not worried about it if its going to have a melt down it would have already done it as I've been riding it and even letting it set and idle to see what it will do. So far its running fine. The guy in Mo. who does competition chain saw racing/ cutting says he removes all the cooling fins off of the flywheel he said the more heat that the saw will build the better. I don't know about that but I guess he gets it very hot.
I'm not recommending everyone to do the mod that I did I wanted something different. Sure looks different tho.rotfl
Norman

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK

Its interesting - the manifolding to the pipe looks a little long though, I'd look at that as well myself.

If you are talking about reversing the cylinder and then replacing it on the motor I know at least one person who would be very interested in that being a functional fix because of her specific requirements.

means a lot less welding as well if it works as well as the stock configuration

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA

This is the same pipe I am using and what I have found to be the optimum header length is between 11 and 12 inches as measured from the exhaust flange to the beginning of the expansion chamber.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

Ghosto
When I measured the pipe from the flange to the start of the chamber mine was 13" measured on the outside of the curves it did look link of like a horse shoe. I made it 13" form the start of the exhaust flange to the start of the pipe and I do think it needs to be shortened. to 11" I just hve to do a little cutting and welding.

Jemma
its not real hard to do the changes even if you don't match up the transfer ports cylinder to crankcase. the toughest part was the intake manifold and that was because I used stainless steel tubing and mild steel for the flange witih only a oxy act. torch its very tough to get a good weld with out pin holes stainless is onery with the wrong welding equipment/gas.

I'm not working on it for a while as I'm worn out from all the playing this week end doing that bike, mowing the weeds, and PMing my Harley.
Sometimes I can change oil and never spill a drop well not this weekend every time I turned around I was sloping Royal Purple Syn oil all over the place
even the new oil I spilled it. The worst was pouring the used oil into a gallon jug and having it tip over on me I'm not squeaking anymore.rotfl
Norman

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

Any one try the turned around top end yet? Just wondering.
Norman

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn

we're not all as cra... um adventuresome as you ;)
me bro and I however had to go look at our bikes for a minute

JoeJ

Jul 22, 2008
Winston Salem NC

That's the pipe I tried to order at Chinese scooter parts, wholesale scooter parts, ATV parts, dirt bike parts, 2 and 4-stroke engine parts, motorcycle parts, but it was out of stock so I ordered (got) part#190-19. cut my china muffler off and used the header upside down didn't even cut the pipe down; thought if it ran lousy I would cut an inch at a time off...but to my suprise it really brought the 70 china to life! I mean musta doubled the torqe and got about 10 mph more top end... Yes another pipe mounted up be the jewels.... Wrapped it with high temp header tape with ss clamps on each end.

JoeJ

Jul 22, 2008
Winston Salem NC

Can't post... every time I try the site tells me to log in...right after I did!!!
What's up with that?

JoeJ

Jul 22, 2008
Winston Salem NC

That's the pipe I tried to order at Chinese scooter parts, wholesale scooter parts, ATV parts, dirt bike parts, 2 and 4-stroke engine parts, motorcycle parts, but it was out of stock so I ordered (got) part#190-19. cut my china muffler off and used the header upside down didn't even cut the pipe down; thought if it ran lousy I would cut an inch at a time off...but to my suprise it really brought the 70 china to life! I mean musta doubled the torqe and got about 10 mph more top end... Yes another pipe mounted up be the jewels.... Wrapped it with high temp header tape with ss clamps on each end.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia

Hi Norm,

Nice mods... I had been wondering if this was possible myself... I guess you showed us all...

Thanks,
:)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

That is going on my short list of things to do. I have a bike that is big enough that I may not have to make anything new as far as intake goes.....