Bicycle that will fit "Silver Slant"

GoldenMotor.com

Garbag3man117

Jul 10, 2011
Lafayette, IN
Hi, I'm new to motorized bicycles. I'd never seen one until my neighbor built one, and now I'm trying to make one. The motor I'm going to buy is here.

It's called the "Silver Slant", but in doing some research found that it is also called the "Jet 48cc Slant head (Silver finish)" Has anyone had experience with this motor? After I buy the motor, I'll have about 80 dollars to spend on the bike. I make 40 dollars a week right now. Can anyone point me to a bicycle that will fit this motor, for around 100 dollars? There's a lot of other information on that website about the motors. Thanks in advanced.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Huffy Cranbrook at wally world is a good frame for $89 but you will want to upgrade the wheels and rims later as they are the weakest part of the bike. But it is an easy build for that engine.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I've made a nice build out of a China Mart bike......This cost less then $300.00 including all the modifications I made to the engine....
Here is a good read...
These are the things that I do, I see that others such as the seals (which I've never had one go bad) mentioned. All these mods or replacements are most likely less then $50.00 (if done yourself). Choose what works for you, ignore the rest, but here you have them.

1. Unpack engine
2. Check for any missing parts
3. Remove head
4. Mill head (flat glass and 230 (or finer) grit sand paper. Rub gasket surface to insure it is flat. Check the cylinder also.
5. Tap cylinder stud holes to insure they are taped to the bottom.
6. Discard all studs and nuts.
7. Replace studs with Metric 8.8 (US Grade 5) Replace nuts with locking nuts. 8mm studs are either 1.0 or 1.25 thread, 6mm studs are 1.0 thread. 8mmX1.0 is not common, but I have 1 engine with them.
8. Replace spark plug with a NGK or the like.
9. Replace spark plug wire and boot (check with lawnmower supply) or rob from old lawnmower. Use wire core lead.
10. Mount the engine properly, no gaps between the bike tubes and engine mounts. Using a Cruiser you will need to do something with the front mount vs using factory mounts.
11. Torque 8mm to 150 to 200 INCH POUNDS
12. Torque 6mm to 60-70 INCH POUNDS
13. I install cylinder studs with lock tite, and let set overnight
14. I coat the head gasket with Copper Kote
15. May need to bend exhaust pipe for crank or frame clearance. Recommend using heat.
16. Remove or cap magneto white wire off.
17. Re solder blue wire on magneto.
18. Make sure all wires have a good connection and use tape or better yet shrink wrap.
19. Hook up kill wires AFTER you get engine running.
20. Try not to drill holes in the bike frame.
21. Do away with the clutch cable routing; there are a number of options.
22. On my kit the rag joint had gauge (Metric) 8.8 bolts, If not replace them. I replaced the nuts with lock nuts.
23. I sealed the wires coming from the magneto out of the engine with RTV.
24. Place a “O” ring in the carburetor throat.
25. Some say replace the axle with a better one. Never had a axle bend on me.

Have built 5 bikes, and with the modifications above all have ran great since 2009. No problems. The first engine blew a head gasket, as it was mounted right out of the box.

http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Engine Mounting/

Last edited:

Garbag3man117

Jul 10, 2011
Lafayette, IN
Thank you all for your replies. Even before I read mark's post, I looked at walmart for cheap cruisers, and came across the cranbrook. I was going to buy it, and then I saw your post and knew I was going to buy it. And thanks Fisherman I'm going to try some of that stuff. When I get the motor and build everything ill tell you guys how it works.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Yea Rohmell is right about Gas bike... I only buy my kits from Piston Bikes. Never a problem with shipping it on time and always what I order and great support.

Garbag3man117

Jul 10, 2011
Lafayette, IN
Okay, I've been looking for different places to buy the motors. GasBike.net looks a little suspicious. Also, there is an option for the "Universal Motor Mount". Will I need it for the Huffy CranBrook? I think I'm going to get mine off of eBay. Thats where my neighbor got his motor kits, and his bikes are awesome.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Good luck with ebay as it is hit and miss if you get what you pay for and no support, Yes you will want to get the large size universal mount.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Bikeberry would be a good place to get a kit. Though since I live in California I got mine from rawmotors.com, and I've been very pleased.

The "slant" part only means that the mount for the spark plug on the head of the engine is slanted instead of straight-up. This does not effect engine performance; rather it's less likely to get in the way in the frame of the bike. When I got my slant-head engine, the spark plug was slanted towards the back of the engine and the CDI cable couldn't reach the spark plug, so all I had to do was turn around the head and presto!

Although I've overall had a pleasant experience with my kit, I do wish that I had instead bought all the parts separately as the parts that came with the kit were relatively cheap. I had to replace the fuel line, put a bolt through the throttle because the stupid little plastic peg broke, the gas tank had some rust in it, the fuel petcock works but not properly, and the mount I made broke causing a big issue. In short, I wish I could have figured out all the parts I needed and bought what I thought would be best.

But there's really nothing wrong with getting a kit if you think that's the best idea. I'd like to reiterate that I'm still satisfied with the performance of my engine and I've been riding it across town every day. I remember people used to say that it would seize and rattle off and stuff like that, but I've had great success.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Bikeberry would be a good place to get a kit. Though since I live in California I got mine from rawmotors.com, and I've been very pleased.

The "slant" part only means that the mount for the spark plug on the head of the engine is slanted instead of straight-up. This does not effect engine performance; rather it's less likely to get in the way in the frame of the bike. When I got my slant-head engine, the spark plug was slanted towards the back of the engine and the CDI cable couldn't reach the spark plug, so all I had to do was turn around the head and presto!
Bikeberry has some real issues shipping used motors in kits and being very slow to make things right if at all.

Factually the slant plug in the head allows for a little more anode clearance and slightly shallower dome on the head translating to more compression. Not much but more so your statement that being a slant head does not affect performance is incorrect.

Last edited:

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Bikeberry has some real issues shipping used motors in kits and being very slow to make things right if at all.

Factually the slant plug in the head allows for a little more anode clearance and slightly shallower dome on the head translating to more compression. Not much but more so your statement that being a slant head does not affect performance is incorrect.
That's too bad! It always seemed like they were one of the more legitimate retailers.

Sorry for the misinformation, but that's how I had come to understand the slant head. Makes sense though!

Garbag3man117

Jul 10, 2011
Lafayette, IN
My motor got here today, I bought it from BoyGoFast on eBay. It is in great condition, a few scuff marks here and there, but nothing that won't get on there anyway from riding it around. I'm going to my neighbors today to set it up, I'll tell you how it goes.

Garbag3man117

Jul 10, 2011
Lafayette, IN
Okay I finally built the bike. The chain kept coming off the sprocket, but I finally got it working. The engine is great. BoyGoFast did a great job. I'm uploading some photos and videos, Ill post them after I'm done uploading.

Garbag3man117

Jul 10, 2011
Lafayette, IN
Here is my first problem...

I put in 16:1 oil, and it didn't idle at all. And it didnt seem to powerful. After I ran out of that I put in 50:1, and it idled fine and seem pretty powerful. I know that that is too little oil, so I put in 20:1 oil and it did the same thing as 16:1. It wont idle at all, and its not too powerful. Will this go away at some point? Also, I noticed that when its bumpy, gas leaks out of the tank. Is there any way to stop it from leaking? Thanks.