Switchblade-inframe gas tank?

GoldenMotor.com

jimthebarron

May 27, 2011
U.K.
O.k. I have searched the forums, but I am still none the wiser, how many holes on a Switchblade are there to fill. I can see one inside the headset which should be easy to get at but where are the others.

I believe the correct way to plug the holes is to clean the area with thinners, push some wire wool in the hole and fill over with J B weld.

J B weld a female brass connection in the top tube for the filler and add a vented brass cap.

Weld in the gas outlet tap?

Seal tank with Kream or similar.

How am I doing?

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers Jim

satoch

Jun 2, 2011
Chicago
POR-15 is what I use to seal my gas tanks after a thorough cleaning.

I TIG weld my tanks to get a nice bead and lower heat as not to distort the thin metal.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You must seal the inside where the top tube meets the down tube or gas will pour out the bottom bracket!
You also must seal the top tube completely IN FRONT of the seat post tube because there are two holes in the SP tube & in the seat stays that will have gas flowing out near the rear axle!

jimthebarron

May 27, 2011
U.K.

Ok, I have cut a 25mm dia hole in front of the seat post tube, stuffed some wire wool in there, stood the frame on its end and smeared some J B weld over the wire wool. I shall leave it over night to see if it sinks, if it does I will put some more J B weld in there. Now what is the best way to cover over/fill the 25mm dia hole I have made?

Regards
Jim

jimthebarron

May 27, 2011
U.K.
Ok, I am ready to seal the tank, I have some POR 15 tank sealer what is the best product to clean inside the frame which will not affect the J B weld.

Cheers

Jim

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I disagree with satoch...you need to clean that area before you apply por-15. They sell a kit that preps the tank.

I have not had good luck with Por-15, the tank leaked and the liner become loose and soluble in the gas. It passed thru- the filter and built up on the inside of the intake manifold.

I called Por-15 to ask if I could clean the tank and re-apply and was told all the liner must be removed before you re-apply. Not really what I wanted to hear.

Do some research on products before you start. Check this one out. Caswell Inc. - Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer