fixing wheel flop

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Raking the trees will decrease the trail and lessen the "flop" effect. I know it doesn't make sense just looking or thinking about it, but do the math/ geometry and you will understand.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
RebelParts,
You are correct in using 5 degree trees, however they do offer 7 degree trees for motorcycle use too. I have worked on motorcycles with 7 degree trees and the owners have not experienced any high speed wobble with them.
Whatever trees are used, the geometry must be calculated carefully to determine the best outcome of any steering modification. Your life may depend on it.

The examples shown at the web site you linked to show an exaggerated example in the last picture to really get the point across to readers. I think that this is good on them, as it stresses the importance of doing it correctly.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I have a little to contribute to Rebels great presentation...

I had factory harley adjustable triple tree forks on one of my bikes, years back.
They were for sidecar use.
I never adjusted them to run in the negative trail position, but in the pos setting they looked a bit nicer than stock but did not ride as well.

A friend had a triumph 750 with aftermarket raked trees.
They were absolutely horrible!
Swing the handlebars from side to side, low when going straight, they'd swing upwards, along with the whole neck when turning.
The front end washed out on me when turning in a bit of gravel and I did go down when I should not have.

I do not like them.
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
There are arguments here about a lot of things but it pales to the arguments over raked trees on motorcycle forums LOL
LoL

Gosh, I bet !
Those fellows have choppers that sometimes sell for more than a house used to cost!

(I always get a chuckle to see a HD custom in the paper for sale... $30k invested, will sell for $12k OBO... just where does the poor fellow get the idea he was 'investing' money?)

...There's a lot of CNC machinery out there looking for something to do these days. Billet is ez to work with and the job shops are quite able to crank out raked triple trees. After setting a machine up, I'll bet they will defend their position! Structurally it's more sound, and safer than some enterprising fellow
raking the neck by cutting it with a sawzall and sticking it back together with his brand new HF mig welder.

An old friend lost the springer on is trike, years back... and Kenny was already on a trike from the previous crash he'd had! Couldn't yet ride a solo bike. It was another year before he 'almost' healed up. Never was the same.

rc

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i think he wanted to fix the floping on his 35 deg bicycle and raked trees on 35 deg would work cheeply. were not talking motorcycles or speeds above 30mph. yes i know rake and trail but i'm not so sure he wants to spend more money on his trees or frame than his bike cost him. after all its a chopper with a floppy forks. oh ya i mean 18 mph... and those $45,ooo bikes sell for $5,000 obo at vet's

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
hopefully lykchrist can get back to profilling safely on his longfork chopper. its hard to be a slave to fashion sometimes... good luck dennis