Ever get a ticket for riding in Idaho. . .

GoldenMotor.com
Post it here.

Looking for details as to what you were ticketed for, where, and outcome.

Also looking for stories about getting pulled over and what was talked about.

For example, I got pulled over for making a turn without stopping. (legal here in Idaho for bicycles btw)
In reality I was traveling on the left hand side of the road (bad, I know) and had been for over a mile before the cop saw me.

Was told by the cop that he travels on the left hand side all the time. Told the cop that according to the twin falls city attorney, a moped is considered a bicycle, and not a motor vehicle.

He ran my id and tried telling me I couldn't ride my "bicycle" on a suspended license. Let me go with a warning to check out the suspended license issue.

Lets hear whatever stories you have, either good or bad.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I know I've posted these at least at the other forum, but here goes my experiences, no tickets.

Encounter #1.

Was riding south across the overpass on Curtis by Fairview (Boiseans know where I'm talking about), and about 20 yards before the onramp, I switched to the left of the lane so as to cross the bridge. Cop pulls me over at the bottom of the overpass and says my bike is illegal. I tell him it's not and recite code to him. He then says I was operating illegally, to which I just tell him I wasn't and he left it at that. Then he says he smells alcohol on my breath - to which I say I haven't had a drink in 3 years. He left after 5 more minutes of harrassment.

Encounter #2.

Pulled over in 20 feet into Garden City at Chinden and Veteran's headed into Boise (anyone in Idaho knows where I'm talking about). He says my bike is illegal. I tell him it's not and recite code. He says I need registration and insurance, to which I say that according to the code I do not. 20 mins later he says to me, "Well with neither of us having a code book on us, we're just going to have to leave it at that - go home." I went on with my evening after finally leaving GC.

Encounter #3

Police pull wave me over in a parking lot or something and ask questions as far as speed, size, price etc. They showed genuine curiosity and dare I say interest. Respectable people, was a pleasure (mostly because they didn't ask for my number and if I could build them one), and I went on with my day in a pleasant mood.

superherg

May 31, 2011
nampa idaho
saw a guy being arrested today on vets pkwy not sure why but looked kike he was in the back seat and bike was on grass leaning on tree hope it was for other reason than riding bike

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Just checked the arrest reports on the ada county sheriff's website for the 15th of june. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary or bicycle related. Just a bunch of DUI's, probation vioations, and a couple DWP's.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
People don't get arrested for bicycle related crimes. The closest you'll find is an arrest where the officer arrests someone for what he believes to be against the law, and the only law that we could be assumed to break is Driving Without Priviledges/Failure to Purchase, Driving Without Insurance, and Failure to Register.

I'm not saying that we need any of those things - what I am saying is that we could be arrested for those things if the officer is completely uninformed.

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
I was looking at where those arrested for DWP in Boise lived. One was in Nampa and the other in Garden City but he didn't look like he would be driving a MAB. My guess would have been drug related or a probation violation. Those are common.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Myself, I saw a young kid getting pulled over May 30/31 last month on a MxB when I was out in Boise. I think he was too young to be arrested, and in the end was probably ticketed - unless they were after him for something unrelated, or even just asked questions. I wish I knew.

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
I haven't had any issue yet other than being stopped by that sheriff. A cashier at the local hardware store said that the police in town had pulled over some woman on an electric bicycle to tell her that riding it wasn't legal because it didn't have lights, mirrors, and a horn.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Talked to a buddy who talked to the cop who pulled the kid over by Calvary - pulled over for traveling against the flow of traffic right there on Franklin by the offramp.

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
LOL! we need more scofflaw cyclists pulled over for that crap. I don't care whether they're motorized or not. I have a problem with folks who don't think the rules and laws apply to them and ride wrecklessly. Not only are they a danger to themselves but others as well and attracts unwanted attention to those of us who are riding respectully and legally.

Also I saw someone on a black motorized bicycle riding discretely in the alley by the Wells Fargo bank on Chinden in Garden City.

I swear, you 2 like jacking my threads just to mess with me don't you.

Read the title. I don't care how many times you get pulled over, or hear of this or that person getting pulled over. I want to hear from anyone who gets a ticket and what the outcome was.

You have both expressed your personal opinions on another thread, and that was fine there. But both of you are off topic and I would appreciate getting this back on topic.

The only person with a worthwhile response was superherg. He may not have the specifics, but he pointed out someone getting arrested, not just getting pulled over.

The whole point of this thread was to find out if anyone was getting ticketed for riding their moped. For the little kid riding against the flow of traffic, he would have done that on a regular bike too. Not very relevant to this discussion.

I now arguing with people on the internet is pointless. If you want an argument from me, start a new thread, I'll be happy to participate there, but keep it on topic here.

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Chill out. I mentioned a 2nd hand story about someone getting stopped by our local police on an e-bike and why. I'm assuming she did get a ticket as the local police here excell at writing tickets. I got pulled over. I said I would have gotten a ticket if I didn't have a valid driver's license.

Your assumptions are irrelevant, unless you know for a fact that that person got a ticket, I don't care. I have already said that I have been in the exact opposite situation as you.

The sheriff's dept. said I was legal, and the cop that pulled me over said I didn't need a license because he agreed with the city attorneys interpretation of the statutes.

At this point, I don't care what any cop has ever told you. It comes down to people getting ticketed and if those tickets were upheld in court. I have yet to find one that has, and that is what this thread is about.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
GR, keep in mind, us and DaveC are really the only active riders here in Idaho that attend this forum, that's why we're talking about any situation. There's a couple others, but there's just not that many on the forums.

well, when you have first hand knowledge that someone got ticketed and what the outcome is, I would love to hear from you.

18 posts, and not 1 single answer to the question I originally posted. All you 2 have been doing is posting irrelevant crap. I don't care how many times someone gets pulled over. I want to know if any tickets they received held up in court.

As you pointed out in another thread, it's not what the cops tell us. It's what a judge tells us.