I need a reccomendation on a bike , cheaper cruiser bike to build for my neighbor....

GoldenMotor.com

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
Hello , I built my first bike in Nov... been riding almost everyday since. My neighbor has seen me riding and asked me all the time to build one. He came over the other day and said he was serious , build me one.

So , it will be a 48cc , b/c that's legal here.

But I need to go out and buy a new donor bike. Right now I am looking at the steel shwinn bike at walmart for 140.00 . It has caliper brakes front and rear , good sturdy looking frame, tires and wheel look fine to motorize?

Any suggestions , I have to keep it in a decent price range..... otherwise he will most likely back out.....

Thank you !!!

( I have built two bikes , one a good cruiser brand name and one a wal mart bike, both have been fine w/ close to 500 miles on each , just have not bought a "new" bike in a few years)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Re: I need a reccomendation on a bike , cheaper cruiser bike to build for my neighbor

The o/p makes a good build, so does the schwinn with the package tray. Two men i work with used schwinn's, one a single speed the other seven speed. I have used the o/p .

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Re: I need a reccomendation on a bike , cheaper cruiser bike to build for my neighbor

Was the Schwinn the "Link" by any chance? I considered doing a build with one, looked to be a good candidate.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

I think they have discontinued the Schwinn Jaguar, a very popular bike here, but they replaced it with the Southport. Same bike different color scheme. They are around $149 but Target sale prices them at $124 occasionally. The only thing they really need is a lay-back seat post because they're a little short in the crotch for anyone approaching 6 foot tall.
Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

I can't remember what bike either was, the blue one is a single speed the black and cream one is a seven speed.

Attachments

Last edited:

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa

I have seen the Scwinn models at wally world and they have one looks very close the one pictured above called a Del Mar

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

The Jaguar/Southport are both seven speed bikes too. Twist-grip shifters.

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina

the southport and the riverside .... okay , I looked into them a little.

They look like they will have the same engine mounting probs as the jaguar. The chain gaurd is in the way and a front mount would need to be built....

Are there any ready to install bikes around at target , walmart etc....
seems like all the new ones are the same , just diff colors and brakes...

Thanks for your help .....

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

Just a small bit of info here but I have built four of the o/p cruisers and the seat post angle has been different on a couple. On one I mounted the engine without a spacer under the front mount, and have had to use as large as 3/4 inch spacers on others. Kinda looks like someone just holds the seat post and welds it in place, not like the frame was built in a jig. I would bet all of the bike's from china will have the same difference.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

I have had two bikes, both beach cruisers, one purchased at kmart, one at wallyworld. The kmart bike was the upland beach cruiser, purchased for $120. It was a decent frame, but when the rear motor mounts vibrated loose it broke the seat tube in half. The second bike, which is my current bike, is the Huffy Cranbrook, purchased for around $75. Had this bike for around a year, no problems with the frame.