stupid clutch or stupid me?

GoldenMotor.com

23ronnie

Apr 16, 2011
perth,Austrailia
would my clutch wear out quicker if i had the flower nut too tight? cause i had it vary tight the whole time then i read that your only meant to do it finger tight. oops Iv just used my first 10L of fuel all going good then the nut on the small cog on the chain side vibrates off 1minute from home it got slower and slower then i got home found out what happend tightend the nut back up tried to start it and its like the clutch is slipping checked the pads they where black and shiny so i cleand them with brake cleaner and scuffed the pads wth 1 of those things ya get in a puncher repair kit still same thing slipslipslip. anytips please:-|| i just wanna ride again waaaaaaaaa.wee..wee.

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
Just wasted a long time writing a good tip for you guys, but got wiped out again, not logged in, no permission ect, not doing it all again, to much hassle, sorry guys, pathetic system. you never know if ones reply is accepted or not. even when one logs in, useless. I thought they had cured this problem. but it seems to be beyond the programmers.

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
I did press the remember me. made no difference. works sometimes not others. if one is logged in that should be enough, far to much cloak and dagger stuff on the internet. We have got to the point now, that if you don,t join and register on every website one cannot buy anything,

like they are all private members clubs. Further frustration today, thatsdax, tried to order a part. but the payment side, does not let anyone outside the U.S.A, have not answered e mails so far. DO you know if they ship outside america?? that is the second time this week i have come accross this problem. tried to buy a sprocket from another site.

after an hour, and 5 attempts. i noticed a small sentence. we do not accept paypal outside the U.S.A now if they put it in big letters on the paypal section it would have saved me a lot of work. this happens a lot, easy to get things fom china,and fast, but U.S.A is going to get walked on by china.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've never timed out and lost a post, and the only time i have to log back in is if i accidentally pull the plug on my laptop. i don't think i've had to re-log in for a coupla months now. this site's better than my email.

but that's not what this thread was about. so...

check to make sure that keyway didn't fall out like rohmell mentioned above. if it did, the gear may be spinning, and you'll have to get (or make) a new one.

if it's still there and the clutch is slipping, check the tension on your cable. if you push the bike without pulling the clutch lever, the rear wheel should be locked up and skidding. pull the lever and it should roll.

if it's rolling, you need to loosen the cable.

unless...

if your cable already has a bit of slack in it, then you need to adjust the flower nut.

the answer to your question; "would my clutch wear out quicker if i had the flower nut too tight?" is no.

i mean, yeah, it could, but the bike would be unrideable if it was too tight. the clutch would always be disengaged and you wouldn't be able to pedal it with the lever pulled. if it was too loose, it would never engage and wouldn't start the motor.

i adjust mine by pulling in the lever, then finger tightening the flower nut as much as i can, then letting the lever out and rolling the bike. if i need to tighten or loosen the flower nut with pliers, i'll do it, 'cause ideally i'm looking for that sweet spot, where it locks up hard with the lever out, yet pulls easy to release it.

this should help you more than whining about not being logged in...