Clutch Stuck?

GoldenMotor.com

captainmorse

Nov 12, 2010
S.E. Florida
Today I was riding my bike...every thing was going great...then suddenly
the engine was running but the bike was not engaged...meaning the engine was no longer pushing the bike. It was like I had pulled in the clutch and engaged it. I had to pedal back home and did not even have to touch the clutch handle to do so ...normally I would have to pull the handle in and lock it. No the handle is not locked...its out in normal running position.
Help
:-||

captainmorse

Nov 12, 2010
S.E. Florida
It seems I located the problem....There Seems to be a Nut that holds the Small Sprocket Thats inside the left side covered part of engine that drive chain goes over is loose. I can get it tightened just so much but when I start pedaling to get started the nut loosens again and the sprocket splips again. How do I get this tightended to its neccessary tighness? Also I'm looking for a Complete engine Diagram/Parts list for the BGF 66/80
Thanks

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
The shaft has a slot in it, and the gear has a slot it it. A Woodruff key goes into the slots to keep them from turning separately.

captainmorse

Nov 12, 2010
S.E. Florida
So its not how tight that nut is [it does not seem to tighten tight, its the woodruff key.
and all this is on the Left side of the engine whre the Cable and Clutch shaft go in?
or on the Right side?

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
You remove the screw that locks the flower nut in place. If you have a pair of needle nose pliers span the nut from slot to a slot opposite and try to turn the nut 1 maybe 2 slot positions. If it won't grip good enough to turn the nut then take a screwdriver, insert a tip against the flower nut in such a way as when you hit the flower nut it drives it counterclockwise 1 or 2 slots from the lock nut hole. Put the locking screw back in. This will tighten up the clutch so you can ride again.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Each end of both the crankshaft and the clutch shaft use Woodruff keys. The one that holds the magnet is the smaller one, the other three are the same size.

So to answer your question, yes, there are Woodruff keys used on both sides of the engine.

captainmorse

Nov 12, 2010
S.E. Florida
This is all appreciated but unfortunately just confusing me more and more.
Unfortunately I do not have a Schematics/Parts list of this engine and am presently looking for one. BGF, the company that makes this engine, does not
leave much for customer service if anything at all.
Here are Pics of what I'm looking at...I do not see any Flower Nuts, WoodRuff Key or Pucks....So either we are dealing with a different engine or I'm looking at the wrong place [probably the later]. Engine is still on Bike with Clutch side covers off. What I really need is someone who knows about this engine take some time and give me a more detailed step by step instructions.
If any one can send me some readable Engine Schematics/Parts list that would be a big help too.

Pics of Left side: Nut does not seem to tighten on that Shaft. There is a pin
that I removed..that goes in and out controling the engagement/disengagement of clutch

Pics of Rt side:

Please be Patient...I'm learning here...just as you guys did once....
If it helps you can email me at [email protected]
Thanks
:-||

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Dead square in the middle of photo #3 and #4 is the flower nut. It holds the clutch together. There should be a small screw in the hole amongst the "flower" petals, as it were. If there was no screw inside the cover you need to find one that fits. Turn the flower nut clockwise to tighten the clutch up. You can use a screwdriver and hammer to tighten the nut, maybe 2 notches plus whatever needed to line a notch up with the small hole. Put in a screw to lock down the clutch.

Was there no screw? Doesn't surprise me at all. "Workmanship" in these motors leave a lot to be desired. At least you don't have a hole in the casting that leaks air into the intake port like someone I read of :p

That pin that came from the gear side use a heavy grease when you put it back. There's a ball bearing behind it and they both need a heavy grease to slow down failure.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
In pics 3 and 4, smack dab in the middle of the disk you can see the flower nut, cuz it looks like the petals on a flower.

You missing the little screw that goes into the hole next to the flower nut to lock it in place?

You need to remove the nut on the chain sprocket, pull the sprocket off and look to see what happened with the Woodruff key.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
if the above advice doesn't help you the problem could also be the woodruf key under the small bevel gear(Pix #4) under the large flat head screw, roll the bike,see if the little gear spins but the screw doesen't,screw should turn with the gear.

mac

captainmorse

Nov 12, 2010
S.E. Florida
Dear Dave and Rohmell
I Found the screw for the Flower Nut "Petals". and did what Dave said,
Ok..that done...Now on the other side where the chain sprocket is, I noticed
that the Nut will go in just so far but it will not tighten....it snugs up to a point and then slips beyond as though its striped. I do not know if this nut
needs to snug up super tight or what..but I do notice that when it snugs up
just a little just before it slips, the threaded shaft that the nut is threading on
suddenly will turn the entired assembly, including the Chain sprocket gear and chain. Which I'm sure is what we want. But it will not hold. the Nut on that Threaded shaft I believe is supposed to hold thight the Chain sprocket to the rest of the assembly...and seems to be stripped. Some common sense tells me that this nut is some cheap soft metal that can strip easily....and that the shaft is harder and less likely to strip...[I hope]. Main questions here are
what kind of nut is this [size wise] and where I can get a new one?
and if the shaft is stripped, where can I get another one? One thing I can say...BGF seems to be a Shanghi company...with NO customer service and
Mississippi guarantee for its motors. I already noticed that the Clutch cable
is starting to fray at the handle...I guess a motorcycle cable of comparable length will work [and probably be of better quality]. Same for the Throttle
cable.
Appreciate this help
Halxct2

captainmorse

Nov 12, 2010
S.E. Florida
if the above advice doesn't help you the problem could also be the woodruf key under the small bevel gear(Pix #4) under the large flat head screw, roll the bike,see if the little gear spins but the screw doesen't,screw should turn with the gear.

mac
If you are [in regards to pic 4] speaking about the small gear with the large screw driver slot on Right of the large clutch gear, [For which that small
gear I would saw is the gear being driven from the engine itself...This will
turn along with everything else when I can get them all to turn. But moving
the bike does not do anything because the chain sproket is not fastenned properly to the rest of the system because [from what I see] the Nut that deals with the Chain sprocket [Pic 1]. aside from that every thing will turn.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Ok, that sounds real bad like the threads are stripped :( IF your lucky it's the nut but because it threaded on partially I'm betting the transfer shaft thread is stripped, it almost couldn't be any worse. The shaft will have to be replaced which means cracking the case open. I think some of the stuff needs to pressed off the old and onto the new shaft but I'm not sure about that.

You will need a complete gasket set and a new shaft. They are available from most dealers.

Because of the PITA aspect it would be easier to get a replacement motor and buy parts slowly for the broken one.

captainmorse

Nov 12, 2010
S.E. Florida
I guess Judging by Daves Answer, I guess that nut in question does need
to snug up super tight to unify the shaft with the chain gearing, and hence
the rest of the clutch. The first thing I will need to do is get a new nut and see if that was all it was, I'm assuming the I can get a new one at any hardware store or is that too a special size that needs to come from special
sources.
Thanks

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Nope, standard metric size. You Should be able to examine the nut and threaded portion for damage. A temporary(very temporary) fix could be a couple of extra washers if it's the clutch shaft to space the nut out to where it would hold but I'd expect the same thing to happen eventually.

Down in the swap Shop there's a thread with parts for sale. I'd pretty much expect the prices he wants would be less than what a dealer would charge.

http://motorbicycling.com/f23/66cc-happy-time-engine-parts-must-29129.html

Good luck and keep us posted :)

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Nut or no nut, the gear and shaft should turn as one assembly due to the Woodruff key.

Take the gear off and see if the Woodruff is there or not.
My bet is that it is not, or else sheared. Get that taken care of, then shim the shaft with a washer or two, thread on the nut tight and be done with it.