i think i finally nailed it.

GoldenMotor.com

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
so any one who's offered me advice over the past few months (some of it was bad, but i appreciate it none the less) probably knows i have had a TON of issues. from the exhaust studs stripping and coming due out to poor tappings, to chain tensioners not gripping solidly (luckily i was going real slow when it flipped in), to chains rubbing the frame or tie or fender.

well i think i fixed all that. yesterday i had my bike running pretty smooth, but today the chain came off and damaged my sprocket just a little bit visually. anyways i figured everything out and i think i have a solid fast reliable bike finally. i ordered my motor on december 17th, got my worksman on january 4th, and have been tinkering with for easily 40+ hours between breaking/finding out what i need for new parts, and ordering+waiting while they were shipping.

all that's left is to finish breaking the motor in, and go to pirate cycles and get a sprocket instead of a pulley. but here it is, i used sportscarpats adapter, which worked great (originaly i had tried using a rag joint so i did the dust cap mod, but that just wasn't gonna work) , a pair of tug nuts made by redline, highly recommend them, tapped my exhaust mounts to 1/4 inch studs, and tinkered seemingly endlessly.

heres some pics. i know i haven't really accomplised anything in the grand scale of things, lots of people here have built worksmans, but it's an achievement to me

kinda wishing i had gotten a black motor now though......

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
thanks venice, in due time. this bike project went over budget $200+ ago, and i'm still not done yet lol.

my goal is to build a few every month for customers in my area, with gas prices going so high i think there should be a reasonable demand for em. if i can make a bike a week i'll have an entire morini bike made by pat in no time :D

wanna get some of his forks made up too, and a front drum break, and an expansion chamber, then it will truly be done, but that in the future. i'll decide on the expansion chamber once the motors all broken in, if it works fine no reason to upgrade, and right now it flies, doesn't idle cause when i got it to idle it wasn't as fast, chose speed over being able to idle lol.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Looks good Matt, man those are some beefy sprockets Pat's using......very nice! When you say you'ld rather have it running fast and not idle properly, make sure you're not running too lean. You should be able to get it to run fast and still be able to idle. It's no fun stalling everytime you come up to a stop.....that gets old quick. Dial the carb in small increments.....have patience and get it right.

Cheers,
scotto-

dnut

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Looks good Matt, man those are some beefy sprockets Pat's using......very nice! When you say you'ld rather have it running fast and not idle properly, make sure you're not running too lean. You should be able to get it to run fast and still be able to idle. It's no fun stalling everytime you come up to a stop.....that gets old quick. Dial the carb in small increments.....have patience and get it right.

Cheers,
scotto-

dnut
my spark color is perfect. i ride back streets for the most part so stopping isn't much of a problem for me, no lights to get caught at, and i just roll through stop signs once im sure it's clear.

i had it idling pretty good and running ok, but it wasn't enough of a reason to take that big of a hit in performance for me, like i said i don't seem to stop very much, and i don't mind pedaling at all around town anyways, i got this for a planned longer trip, roughly 60 miles from where i live in MA to where im from in NH. and i'd pedal away to start regardless of whether it idled so would again not make a huge difference.

if i really had to i could just keep revving the motor with the lever pulled in, to keep it going.

Last edited: