cj8 champion plug

GoldenMotor.com

mybike

Jan 19, 2011
bella vista ar
Hy guys. I bought a new 68cc china slant head. Will the champion cj8 work in this engine? The new plug that came with engineis cracked.
My old grubee 48cc chrome has a lot of miles on it so I decoded to replace it.

thanks mybike

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I cross referenced it, looks like the wrong size. get this one Sick Bike Parts it is an amazing plug, I used it, it could not foul because it is so hot. Get it and you won't regret it :)
-LS

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
I run B5HS in all my PK's, the BP5HS has a Platnium coating on the electrode, ya can get them in most auto parts stores, get a good wire and plug connector while your there.

Mac

mybike

Jan 19, 2011
bella vista ar
Thanks guys for the plug imformation. I've temporarily a cj8 in this motor thinking the original plug wass my problem. NO! It will idle although slow with the idle screw all the way in. But also doesn't seem to have a lot of power or rpm. Fuel ratio 16:1 as recommended. Also hard to start, choke mfull on and pump the primer button 10 or 12 times it might start with pull rope after 4 or 5 pulls when cold. when warm not quite as hard to start. Will pedal start after 40 or 50 ft with just choke.
Any help would be appreciated. Engine is new with maybe 2hrs on it.

Thanks
mybike

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Start by decreasing your oil mix. We recommend a 24:1 mix for break in moving down to a 32:1 afterwards.
As for Champion plugs, I've had very good luck with their 811, (L82-C) plug. In fact it has proven a better performer than the venerable NGK-6, at least for me.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Cool. I gave up on Champions years ago. Perhaps they have improved their plugs, but I've been stranded in the Puget Sound due to Champions fouling, I've had cars not start due to Champions. I just was burned one too many times by them.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
In all honesty. Paul, I'm one of those weird Opti-2, 100:1 guys. The plugs stay clean. I've not run the Champions on other oil or mix ratios. That being said I've noticed a distinct improvement in ease of starting and a smoother idle with the Champs over the NGK plugs. If that's due to the oil (or lack thereof)...who can say?
Thanks for your input.
Just one question: What were you doing in Puget Sound on a motorbike? :)
Tom

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
My plugs stay pretty clean too, this really has nothing to do with oil. Just my general dislike of Champion. I refuse to put one penny in that terrible company. Maybe they have improved, but I don't really want to find out. Burned too many times to want to try their plugs in my bike, let alone having customers get stranded by their foul master plugs. NGK's make such a great selection and they perform so well, no need to look elsewhere.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
As a auto mechanic just cant go wrong with Auto light . Champions in auto motive were avoided with me as well. As a kid with small engines like lawn mowers I always chucked the cj8 for a hotter plug. I used a lot of bosch plugs like the ones from Volks wagons. It was what I had lying around in the day. Briggs loved them.

Can't go wrong with NGK!

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Champions, the breakfast of pistons.
(I read that on here somewhere)
...Or is it the other way around?

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Glad you asked, the Russian engines were based around the A11 spark plug, still being made today Google Translate

If you click the link, go to consumer goods, and then go to spark plugs, you can see that they are still made in Russia :)