My humble bike

GoldenMotor.com

Bots' Revenge

Nov 4, 2010
Bulgaria
www.stefansolakov.com
Hi guys. I recently joined your community and I wish to share with you my motorized bike.

I've had this bicycle for more than 12 years and it has served me well. I added the 60cc engine kit last summer and since then I've done about 1800km (1125mi) on it.
At first I used it with the standard 44 tooth sprocket. I managed to hit and hold 43km/h (27mph) with it. Unfortunately I felt this speed as unsafe when riding in traffic. There were just too many cars overtaking me due to the speed difference.

Then I added a 32 tooth sprocket. With it the bike reaches 55km/h (34mph) on flat. This is a good speed to ride in traffic in my city (Sofia, Bulgaria). Sometimes I say to myself "Man, I wish I had bought the 80cc engine. I could use the extra power on that steep hill". :)

At some point I added my bright flashlights and my car horn. I had the horn laying around and decided it was about time I put it in use. Before that I tried ringing the bike bell, shouting, using a car alarm, revving the engine and so on. Nothing helped to make some car drivers alert that they are about to hit me or that they are doing some other endangering actions.
The horn put everything in place. :)

I've had a ton of fun on my motorized bicycle and I intend to keep riding it although I'm soon to buy a motorcycle.

So here's my bike with a code name roughly translated as "Buzz flier"

Attachments

Last edited:

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
nice bike. i bet its fast with that small back sprocket..? i have to gear mine for hills cuz i like in P.A.lol anyway, your bike looks sharp and i really like the blue.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Then I added a 32 tooth sprocket. With it the bike reaches 55km/h (34mph) on flat. This is a good speed to ride in traffic in my city (Sofia, Bulgaria). Sometimes I say to myself "Man, I wish I had bought the 80cc engine. I could use the extra power on that steep hill". :)
Great looking bike
Your bike will probably go faster with a 36 or 38 tooth sprocket
Should go about 38 - 39 mph with a 36 tooth

Maybe you are a Bulgarian jokester but there is no 80 cc motor
66cc is as big as they go, maybe you have a 58 cc?

Bots' Revenge

Nov 4, 2010
Bulgaria
www.stefansolakov.com
BiMoPed, I kinda not like the sound of "Bulgarian jokester". I fear that I'm not following you on the idea of 36 tooth sprocket. How would my bike reach higher speeds with a sprocket that has more teeth than the one I currently use?

When I used the 44 tooth one, I could reach 43kph. The 32tooth sprocket gave about 56kph. How would a 36 tooth sprocket give me even higher speeds?

I haven't measured the actual displacement of the engine. Here in Bulgaria the dealer sells these kits as 50cc, 60cc and 80cc.
I wouldn't be surprised if these values are false. Let's just say that I've bought the middle one and there's a larger one for sale.

@earl.k
Indeed I've thought of a shifter kit but it costs nearly as much as the engine kit. Some pedaling on the hills costs less :)

@Dan
Thanks. It has proven itself many times over. Perhaps, after the headlights, this has been the most practical thing I've done to my bike.

Last edited:

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
@earl.k
Indeed I've thought of a shifter kit but it costs nearly as much as the engine kit. Some pedaling on the hills costs less :)

yah, if it works now. why change it? and again nice bike have fun riding! :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool Bots' and good to know! I am working on a build that's engine has a 12V alternator. I had not thought of an actual horn. Now ya got me thinking one of the old sounding "AWOOGA" ones, lol. Was on the phone with Tom, "2 Door" way back and he has one! Would be perfect for a MB. Just sounds so dang cool. Gonna get this one, snork 100 dB Old Fashioned Sound "Ooga" Air Horn Read the reviews! Perfect (they say it really sucks and sounds sick)

The displacement thing. Chinese engineering measures differently then western. So by one standard an 80cc is about 66 and vice versa. Cultural thing and I choose to believe just that and not any thing underhanded.

Minus the lights and horn, my very first build looked identical to yours. I (no kidding) have dreams about that bike. Sold it for $450 USD. Was on my way to store and a guy who owned a biker bar just had to have one. As a joke for a Motorcycle rally thing. Kinda feel like I sold her down river to be laughed at. I really loved that MB.

I had postage stamps made with pics of her. Is in the vid in my signature below. Towards the end. sorry. but is a good tune

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
OH! I forgot to ask Bots' Please post lots of pics. Bulgaria is beautiful!

I live in Connecticut, just east of New York (city and state) We had so much snow ya can't see it. lol

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Got a 32 here I've never installed- the 36 with a 66 with a billet intake and 66NTS carb is as fast as I want to go-

the 36 bogs a little more on takeoff- but has a nice cruising speed without opening the throttle- in fact if anything, it tends to bog down now and then because I'm not blowing it out in this urban area- will probably thin out the oil a litle as I already have.

The66 motor is definitely more powerful than the other 50 setup I have- but the other bike is much lighter and even easier to ride in crowded city area- with a 41 sprocket it needs some pedal assist to get going.

the 36 will barely top a really large steep mile long climb up in Indiana- I could get more speed with the 32 on the flat here in Florida but don't need it and think the added strain at low speed might break something sooner. Plus I'm pushing almost 200 lbs- a lighter person, for flat riding, could more easier use a 32. The smaller the sprocket, the faster the gear-

don't have the money or effort to mess with a shift kit, but sounds like it may be the way to go if you're inclined.

Last edited:

Bots' Revenge

Nov 4, 2010
Bulgaria
www.stefansolakov.com
Hey, Dan, the "Awooga" type horn is super cool and cute. It would make me laugh every time I blast some ... troublemaker with it :)

About the bike being laughed at - Indeed I've seen some giggles and smiles in my direction but no one has ever made actual fun with my bike. Usually I meet two kinds of people - those who are fascinated with the bike and the others who consider it an offense towards the cycling ideas. The latter are quite few. :)

By the way, I recently appeared to be involved in a race with a sporty-looking cyclist. I buzzed past this guy who seemed to be dressed for an international race :p and he seemed to take this action of mine quite seriously :) He ran a red light in order to get ahead of me and then kept looking if I was coming. As soon as I started rolling this guy jumped on the pedals, stood up and pushed his bicycle as hard as he could.
I just sat on mine and gave it gas. Even with my reduced acceleration the cyclist didn't stand a chance. I decided not to humiliate the guy by helping my engine. If I hit the pedals hard and go at my highest gear, I could reach 50kph faster. There was no need for that though. The guy deserved a fighting chance.
I find this quite amusing :)

So it doesn't matter what the hard core cyclists think of my motorized bike. All that matters is that it does exactly what I bought it for and I'm having fun on it without breaking a sweat :)

About shifting gears - a few months ago I had the wild idea of buying a 50cc engine from an old German Simson S50 motorbike. It usually has 3 gears. The engine produces 4 horsepower - about twice as much as mine. It wouldn't had cost me much (about $130) but I wasn't sure if I could mount it properly.
I bet this engine would be quite good on a bicycle although It may be too large for the pedals to turn. I was just about to buy it but I decided to keep my engine and save the money for my future motorbike. Besides, I wouldn't have been able to sell my engine alone.

Who knows, I may as well one day do this modification and go crazy

Last edited: