east coasters

GoldenMotor.com

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i heard you east coasters have been gettin hammered by bad weather lately

i live a disconnected life from the rest of the nation and world sorta in my own little box(alaska)

whats it been like down there

i know up here at least where i live when we get hammered with heavy snows it doesnt really slow us down but we have the infastructer to handle it

there are times when school gets canceled if i remember corectly in 02 we got 2 1/2 or 3 ft of snow and enjoyed 3 days off from school but the high schoolers only got 2 days off ;) oh yeah !

im interested in some weather reports or storm stories

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
wow that sucks dude

when we get snow it usually is a gradual snowfall that addes up two two or so feet of snow but it takes 14 or so hours to fall and usually the streets are cleared once already so driving is fine

lol i hope you gots a snowthrower (not likely)

i have noticed that its almost usless to clean the snow up in your driveway if its just gonna blow in again from the street in heavy winds

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
im at my mothers house atm, haven't seen the damage at my own yet lol. but my neighbors take care of the side walks at my own house with a snow blower. we had to shovel the side walks 5 times at my moms house the day it started. began at 11 in the morning and continued till about 4am then we just shoveled the side walks off. wasn't too bad.

surfishjoe

Oct 14, 2010
South Jersey
Hi Wild Alaska! I live in South Jersey on a barrier island and we got hammered pretty good with 15+inches. I was using my old rubber fire boots and snow was over the top, hip boots would have been better. Drifts were up to waist deep. Two of three doors to the house were completely buried/blocked by drifted snow early Monday AM. Surprisingly the surf was pretty weak from such a strong storm. Mondays northwest blow was intense and blew out what little swell was coming in, though I did sneak out for a few just to get wet.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
nice man

i do enjoy fresh snow and this is a rare thing i think so you get to tell people years from now about it and kinda glorify the experience

hope it gets better we have had a little colder than average winter but not to bad

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Isok Saddletramp - I'll remember that come summer & it's 110+ in the shade down there ;)

The only problem I've got w/the snow is my rim brakes on my winter beater don't work fer beans all loaded up w/ice... but then again stopping is a questionable issue in any case... :p

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
@saddle tramp

i am so glad i dont live in fairbanks its ridiclouse there im in south central alaska its not too bad here the average low is 0 and usual lows are -5 to -10 sometimes -20 but we havent seen that this season here in anchorage that usually comes in febuary and our big snows usually come in march

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
ohh one thing i wondered is when it snows at night down there is it light out

up here when its snowing at night theres a orangeish yellow glow that illuminates to the point where it isnt dark i just wonder if its like that anywhere else or if its a position on earth thing

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
We lived in St. Cloud Mn, for awhile. Snow so deep we had to tie a string to the car just to find it! I make fun of the weather because I have suffered myself.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I don't know if "down there" means where I am, but it is dark here just after five (sundown) and stays dark -snow or no snow. However, most of these days and nights are grey anyway. Maybe you are seeing northern lights.
I have had enough of global warming (about 10 degrees below normal for weeks). Supposed to see the sun on friday and 45 degrees- horray!

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
lol nah dude it aint northern lights i know what they look like

i think the clouds relfect either the city lights back to earth where the snow covered ground lights up cause it absorbs the dark light of the spectrum

it doesnt actually have to be snowing if we have a good overcast at night it can be light at night but if there are no clouds its very dark cant see a hundred feet well unless the moon is bright