Heres what i've been workin on.....

GoldenMotor.com

poorboys bikes

Custom Bike Builder
Apr 18, 2010
wichita, ks
Its a '58 schwinn spitfire deluxe i had powder coated "purple starlight", and ive built these dropout extensions to make room for felts 50mm rims and quickbricks. Anybody ever done somethin like this before? and if so, let me know how it worked, comments, advice, pics!!!

poorboys bikes

Custom Bike Builder
Apr 18, 2010
wichita, ks
somebody help me please!!! for some reason i can post pics to my profile album, but not to my thread itself. ive tried posting them to my album first, and directly from my pc... no luck!!! anyways theres pics of this bike in my album on my profile...

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Those are pretty slick drop outs you built!!!
Keep in mind that those Felt wheels are so wide that you will probably still have trouble with the engine chain hitting the frame & tire.
Good luck & post more pics as you go! (^)

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
It looks great so far.
I can't help to wonder how moving the wheel back will affect
how you mount the rear brake.
What kind of rear brake will you be using anyway?
Your drop-outs look nice and sturdy.

I guess I'll have to stay tuned to find out how it's coming along.

TIM

poorboys bikes

Custom Bike Builder
Apr 18, 2010
wichita, ks
Got the fork, headset and seat today, gotta do some cuttin on the fork to get rid of the excess at the top! one prob though, the fork and headset are 1 inch threadless and i think my headtube is 1 1/8th which surprises me for such an old bike. I put it together anyways to see what'd look like and if i could get it down low like i was hoping. Gotta hit up the local bike shop to see if they have a conversion kit or something to help or i might be searching for another triple tree... The fork, stem, dropout ext's and seatpost will all be powder coated satin black when i get all the fab'n done. Gonna chop and lay back the seatpost eventually... Finally got to put the wheels and tires on to see how it sits and i like it... Seats too high and foward for my liking... Anyways i've got the rear wheel as far foward in the new dropout as it'll go and i have about a quarter inch between the tire and seats stays, so im GOOD!!! As for brakes, i dont put anything on my bikes but coasterssss! they'll lock it up if i need to, and i hate all the cables and wires showing everywhere!!! I will NEVER put front brakes on ANY of my bikes because i like my front teeth!!!!! so dont even start, ive read comments before. Added more picks, the seat is a Felt hot wheels 68, super sweet!

Attachments

poorboys bikes

Custom Bike Builder
Apr 18, 2010
wichita, ks
yeah, i found some new bearing cups and a race to make it work. I got the fork cut down to the length i wanted to get it down low in front, took off about an inch and a 16th. Got about a quarter inch clearance between the bottom of the steer tube and the top of the tire! looks good but the drag bars i ordered dont fit in the stem so.... i think im gonna find me a cooler lookin bmx stem and then look for bars to fit with a slight rise in 'em! And about the front brakes, whatever makes you happy is the main thing, ive had and rode lots of dirt bikes and motorcycles, scooters and just reg bikes and i never used the front brakes so im confident without them. However i have seen people do face plants when a car pulls out right in front of them and every muscle tightens in their bodies, front brakes at fault sooo.... i guess its up to each of us to choose their fate. me, slidin sideways, and layin it over is way better than a bar end in the stomache or a facefull of asphault! BTW im posting pics of my other bikes ive built. hope you guys likey:)>

Attachments

poorboys bikes

Custom Bike Builder
Apr 18, 2010
wichita, ks
Heres my most recent bikes, bronco, felt, and a new project frame, its a50's or 60's gambles hiawatha bare metal, ive cut the head tube down for looks and got rid of the brackets between the seat and chainstays. once i get the dropout extensions done for this one im sending it, them and alot of other stuff to powder coat for some satin black!

Attachments

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Outstanding skills you have there PoorBoy, and I can relate having laid down a few old Harley rat bikes with rear wheel brakes only, everytime I laid one down I was able to walk away with a lil road rash. Back in the day when we raced motorX here on the east coast you'd always want to lay that bike down on it's side rather than go over the handlebars and eat the dirt!!

My motorized bikes have front brakes for the added security of knowing that I can stop if my rear brakes fail, having no brakes in an emergency situation will cause most people to mess in their pants! Not funny either!!!

Peace Crazy Horse.

poorboys bikes

Custom Bike Builder
Apr 18, 2010
wichita, ks
How are you guys getting your titles under your names? i want one!!! Btw my felt is the smoothest and fastest bike i've built. I was clocked at 43mph flat ground and still climbing, i think it'll do 45-46... sounds right! the only thing ive done to it is put jims intake on, bigger air cleaner, port matched the pipe and drilled two holes in the baffle, and cut off the tube from the baffle to the inner muffler. i modified a friends muffler by port matching, then cut the tube to the exact length it needed to sit just inside the inner muff, then added one hole. His has a little less low end torque, but hits the same top speeds and is alot quieter! i think these things NEED an appropriate amount of back pressure to run right! the wholes in the baffle are an easy way to experiment!!!

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
How are you guys getting your titles under your names? i want one!!!

PoorBoy, you can send paul the administrator and owner of the website a private message or send private message to a moderator requesting that your title be changed.

Maybe you could request that yours be ( Custom Motorized Bicycle Builder ), it appears that you are definitely a custom motorized bicycle builder with the builds & skills you have!!

It's rare that anyone notice's that they have a title untill they've been a member for quite sometime you are very observant to details, I think that is a good thing.

Anyway welcome to the forum hope you can enjoy it as much as I do!!!

Peace Crazy Horse.

poorboys bikes

Custom Bike Builder
Apr 18, 2010
wichita, ks
Its been a while, but i got a few little updates, nothin big just tryin out different things. Im really debating on whether or not to put a motor on this bike!!! heres some more pics. Got the fork finished, dropped to my liking, and also did this to my rootbeer bike. Found bars that i like, now just gotta order the stem that fits. Basically thats it.

Attachments