My Latest Bike...

GoldenMotor.com

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
I just wanted to share my latest build with everyone....it is a vintage huffy frame, has a shimano coaster brake hub, caliper brake added to front wheel, and a bell seat and mirror, fenders were after market that i cut down and painted.... 66cc engine... didnt cost alot to build but a few extra hours ....

Attachments

chad223

Sep 20, 2010
NC
Nice! Is it a Western Flyer frame? Mine's a 90's Huffy Western Flyer and it looks almost identical.

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
Hi Chad, thanks ... well i'm not sure what vintage as i have not researched it yet... but i believe its from the 50's from the look of the fork and the name on the chain guard was ROADSIDE CRUISER...i have seen them online described as 50's bikes...its a nice heavy brazed frame... is yours motoriZed yet? got a picture? i am starting work on a 1953 schwinn corvette today....love the old bikes:)

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
thanks for that venice... yea i heard that before and noticed that my fork has 2 mounting holes so i used them both, with locktite and large washers... part of my pre-flight is check fender:) and everything else..... spend my spare time reading the motorbicycle forum...you guys are great!

chad223

Sep 20, 2010
NC
[/URL] U[/IMG]

It's slowly getting there. I finally finished the "body work". Hopefully tomorrow it won't be raining and I can start on paint. This is my first bike and its going really well so far.

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
Thats great chad, i see you are doing it right from the start, what color? any theme in mind for the finished "look" ... i was kinda going 50's hot rod with mine....

chad223

Sep 20, 2010
NC
Thats great chad, i see you are doing it right from the start, what color? any theme in mind for the finished "look" ... i was kinda going 50's hot rod with mine....
Well I bought some black but I'm starting to think it's a little too common (no offense). Now I'm thinking white with black wheels.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Regarding paint color, a person rarely thinks of white, and yet whenever I've seen a white build it looks great. A color suggested to me by fasteddy last summer for my Worksman "Indian" build with the canoe sidecar was Duplicolor's Wimbledon White, which is a light cream color. Along with cream tires by Electra and black fenders, black engine tht Indian looks really good. Very rich looking. I'm using that cream color again right now on a 51 Schwinn Greyhound build and will be using it yet again this winter on a 1934 Elgin restoration. It is very close to a color Elgin had with black accent darts and again is a really sharp bike. White as a choice gets overlooked, yet once on your bike your build will get lots of looks. I don't like a stark white, but the light cream is warm and inviting. Dupli color is good paint, too. I get mine at Napa and follow with clear top coat. Yes, you see black bikes all the time. It looks good, too, though.
SB

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
I use the dupli color as well... works good and dont have a problem with fuel ...seems not to affect it....was worried about the last bike i painted though , went to buy paint at the local parts store and found the dupli color automotive touch up paint was no longer acrylic lacquer , but rather acrylic enamel .... so i reluctantly took it home, painted a tank and chain guard, waited a day and poured fuel on the chain guard, and ...no problem....and i also clear coat...except on that black bike, its a satin finish...did not want to make it too shiny...started on a 1953 schwinn corvette yesterday... will be red...also common i guess but i want it to sparkle :)

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
Hi Zobraman, Wow, africa huh? its so cool that you are halfway around the world and are seeing the color of my fuel :) Well i guess its the oil i use that turns it that color, its just 91 octane gasoline, i am not at home at the moment but i believe its a penzoil 2 stroke oil....will check and let you know tomorow...brnot