Chain problem:or large, or tighten...

GoldenMotor.com

DanielMaia

Jun 24, 2009
Portugal
Hi guys,

Im freaking out with the chain, because when i take a ride, the chain is constantly, or large..or too tighten..

Should i get a new chain? My bike has 1700km, with some maintenance,

The chain is only tighten where the chain link passes in the last teeth of the sprocket, what this means, exactly?

Sorry for my bad english, hope you understand :)

DanielMaia

Jun 24, 2009
Portugal
What you guys think about:

- Buy a new chain, with a reasonable quality, here in Portugal
- Try no align the sprocket on the hub, putting a piece of rubber, fitting perfectly into the hole of the sprocket..

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Like the guys said, it sounds like your sprocket was off center(before you took apart). Nougat's advice is good. Lightly assemble, then put on bike, and put chain on. Tighten a bit, turn the wheel to keep checking while tightening, keep tightening until perfectly centered.

If you can find something the right size to put in there, go for it. That'll help keep it there.

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
I had the same problem. Tight chain , loose chain. I had one slightly bent tooth on my sprocket. I straightened the tooth and got a sprocket adapter and that fixed it.

DanielMaia

Jun 24, 2009
Portugal
Thank you guys,

I have a little trick that i thought, to help me to center the sprocket on the hub,

I 'll try, today..or maybe tomorrow..

Thank you, for all

Daniel Maia

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thank you guys,
I have a little trick that i thought, to help me to center the sprocket on the hub,
Daniel Maia
Just out of curiosity, what kit rear sprocket doesn't just fit centered on the hub with the right size hole to begin with?

Every Grubee kit I have installed direct drive I didn't have to mess with centering it, it fit on the hub and centered itself on multiple coaster and geared bikes.

Spoke mounted drive sprocket is bad enough, but one that won't even fit the hub tight?
That adds a 3rd plane of possible alignment issues.

Heck, you can have this unused Grubee sprocket kit for $10 for my effort + shipping.

1 3/8" (35mm) sprocket hole.
The mounting hardware.

If you can't measure the hub diameter itself just use a 'soft tape measure', like a sewing one, and get the circumference of it. Divide that by 3.14 (PI) and you have your diameter.
Note this also works for measuring tube size, etc. Pretty much the basic math we were all supposed to learn but never used but can ;-}

DanielMaia

Jun 24, 2009
Portugal
Hi KCVale ;)

I didn't understood very well.. so, you have a sprocket, and..the hole, in the center, is exactly the diameter of the hub of wheel?

Yes, i can measure that with no problem

DanielMaia

Jun 24, 2009
Portugal
Hey guys!

New chain, sprocket is on the right position..and..its really perfect..

The previous chain was really bad, now its time to cruise @ 50kph with no weird noises :D